Malawach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjames

Assistant Cook
I made malawach following several Yemenite recipes exactly, and made the pan size ones which I "fried" in 1 teaspoon of oil, as directed. It was really good, although not as flakey or multi-layered as I have tasted with the frozen ones I have purchased. How can I create more layers of flakiness? Does using butter or margarine create more flakiness than oil?

how about start with the recipe and before that simply telling folks what it is you are talking about? Doesn't sound like your everyday meal, malawach, does it?

malawach

CharlieD,

I DID start out by telling you what I was talking about.... MALAWACH!!!! And, the recipes for malawach are standard, so I did not have to repeat one.

I guess we don't know what it is. If we don't know what it is, we can't help with your question. It may be standard from where you are from, but not around here.

Last edited:
Apparently it's a Yemen Jewish fry bread. Some of the recipes I saw said it was similar to philo dough, some described it as a layered and fried puff pastry. The recipes I saw were fairly similar as far as the ingredients go but differed in the folding and rolling techniques.

I would guess that your problem has something to do with your folding of the dough. Could be not enough oil/butter in between the layers, could be the difference between using oil or butter, could be not enough folds, could be over working the dough before folding or during folding or rolling it out too many times. If not a problem with the rolling and folding it could be too much or not enough water in your dough.

I'd really need to see the specific recipe and prep instructions to be more specific.

My husband loves malawach! do you like it the traditional way? With grated tomato, hardboiled egg, and tehina?? If you haven't tried it like that I suggest you do.

Unfortunately I have never made it. I wanted to make it a few time or Jachnun (similar) but husband said if I'm not a 90 yr old Yemenite grandma it ain't gonna happen! I know he said you need a special thin pan to cook it and that jachnun cooks over night - maybe the same with malawach.

If you come across a successful recipe let me know!!!

The only malawah i've seen were round and farely thick, did not look anything like in the video.

I guess that's what I get for googling something I know nothing about :rolleyes: Just trying to help :)

I am sure it is different from region to region and that is why I asked the original poster, who was quite a rude, to tell us all about. But some people think that we owe to them and demand answers. Typial.

I am sure it is different from region to region and that is why I asked the original poster, who was quite a rude, to tell us all about. But some people think that we owe to them and demand answers. Typial.

+1. ;)

I think that there are a whole bunch of recipes and foods that I've never heard of, and I've heard of a lot of different foods. I never heard of malwach either. The OP was fairly rude, I agree. I hope he sees how many people tried to help him anyway, and that he changes his attitude. This is such a great site, where everyone wants to help each other. maybe everyone's example will rub off on this guy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think that there are a whole bunch of recipes and foods that I've never heard of, and I've heard of a lot of different foods. I never heard of malwach either. The OP was fairly rude, I agree. I hope he sees how many people tried to help him anyway, and that he changes his attitude. This is such a great site, where everyone wants to help each other. maybe everyone's example will rub off on this guy.

+1

Well said, Chief.

I don't even know how to pronounce malawach. Would someone like to enlighten me? It appears to be a savory bread, correct?

What is it? +2

Back
Top Bottom