Mexcan food at home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 Indian food can be daunting to some, but it's one that I got obsessed with, and tried to learn all I could about it. I also got the spices needed, and organized them in 4 boxes - one with the masalas, or spice mixes, one labeled "Most used Indian spices", one is the lesser used spices, and one with larger jars to refill the things like coriander, mustard seed, cumin, and things like that. All I have to grab, for most dishes, is the most used, then I measure them out into little cups, on a plate, and when measuring these out, I'll measure the ones out, added at the same time during cooking, to the same cup - easier to add while cooking. I do this with many types of cooking, but Indian has the most ingredients, as a rule. Here's an example of one I made recently:
Curry leaves and spices, ready to pan roast for sambar masala. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

If you want to talk Indian, we'll have to start another thread. Suffice it to say, it is usually much faster for me to cook Asian, in general, than Mexican. Though many of the Asian dishes have more ingredients, they are fast to make, as a rule. While not all Mexican dishes based on dried chiles are as complex as a mole, just a basic one goes like this: slit the chiles, and remove the core, and the seeds and veins. Flatten out, and toast in a dry skillet. When done, soak in hot water for 30 min. Meanwhile, dry-roast some garlic in the skillet, for about 15 min., and any spices you may need in the dish. Cool and grind the spices; peel the garlic, cutting off the root tips, and place in blender. When. Chiles are soft, drain, and place in blender, adding some liquid (the soaking liquid is often bitter - taste first), and blend until smooth, adding just enough liquid for the salsa to circulate. Pour through a medium mesh strainer, pressing through the strainer, leaving the seeds and skin, scraping off the bottom of the strainer.

Heat up oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Pour in salsa, and cook, scraping the pan constantly with a silicone spatula, until it becomes almost a paste, 6-8 minutes usually. Add the water, or broth called for in the recipe, and set aside. Now, it's ready to cook the chicken, turkey, pork, beef, fish, or whatever comes next in the recipe.

This is why this always takes me longer, but it is so worth it!

While not all Mexican dishes based on dried chiles are as complex as a mole, just a basic one goes like this: slit the chiles, and remove the core, and the seeds and veins. Flatten out, and toast in a dry skillet. When done, soak in hot water for 30 min. Meanwhile, dry-roast some garlic in the skillet, for about 15 min., and any spices you may need in the dish. Cool and grind the spices; peel the garlic, cutting off the root tips, and place in blender. When. Chiles are soft, drain, and place in blender, adding some liquid (the soaking liquid is often bitter - taste first), and blend until smooth, adding just enough liquid for the salsa to circulate. Pour through a medium mesh strainer, pressing through the strainer, leaving the seeds and skin, scraping off the bottom of the strainer.

Heat up oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Pour in salsa, and cook, scraping the pan constantly with a silicone spatula, until it becomes almost a paste, 6-8 minutes usually. Add the water, or broth called for in the recipe, and set aside. Now, it's ready to cook the chicken, turkey, pork, beef, fish, or whatever comes next in the recipe.

This is why this always takes me longer, but it is so worth it!
If I'm taking the time to make a dish that includes a sauce like this, I make a lot and freeze some. It's not worth it for a weeknight dinner. For the OP's information, sauces made from fresh ingredients are much quicker and easier.

I agree, GG, the fresh based recipes are easier, and I make a lot of those in the summer, with all those garden vegetables! Too bad avocados don't grow here. And I almost always make a double recipe, when making one of those "fried sauce" based recipes. However, it's not easy to do much more than that - too much sauce, and it won't cook down fast enough, even in a 12" sauté pan. In fact, I remember Bayless pointing this out in one of his early shows, and he said that they obviously can't be making large amounts of these sauces in a restaurant, using this method, so their method is to put a large amount of the diluted sauce in a stock pot, and simmer it 5-6 hours. It's amazing how the frying of the sauce replaces several hours of simmering!

We went out for DH's 59th birthday and he requested Mexican.

It was WAY too spicy for me but I think I could create some of the dishes at home, with a lot less heat.

I had a rice bowl and he had a wrap type thingie.

Anyone make Mexican style food at home? it's doable, right?

No, not tried yet but wish to try it at home.

Homemade tamales with green rice and Tex-Mex chili gravy.

36788-albums309-picture6862.jpg

Mexican ( at least in my opinion) is one of the easier ethnic cuisines to make at home and have it taste like you get it in the restaurant.

Also, as you mentioned, you have complete control of the 'heat'.

:LOL: easy for you to say.

I make few things at home, but have been afraid to try to make most of it. Added problem is Kosher for me.

Last edited:
[emoji38] easy for you to say.

I make few things at home, but have been afraid to try to make most of it. Added problem is Kosher for me.
It really is pretty easy to make most Mexican food. And authentic Mexican doesn't typically include cheese or sour cream - those are more Tex/Mex and Southeastern ingredients - so it should be pretty easy to make them kosher.

Search for Rick Bayless's YouTube channel - he demonstrates a lot of pretty quick and simple recipes. And his website has the written recipes for his TV shows.

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipes-from-chef-rick-bayless/

We actually have a vegetarian Mexican cookbook. We make several recipes out of it, though we sometimes add an animal protein.

I forgot carnitas. Easy to do the pork in the Instant Pot/pressure cooker.

carntas_081417_IMG_2708.JPG

carntas_taco_081417_IMG_2702.jpg

Back
Top Bottom