Mexican Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TanyaK

Senior Cook
Thursday is my dinner to make a surprise dinner for date night. I'm making a Mexican dinner which is DH's favourite cuisine. On the menu is :
- Fried stuffed chillies in egg batter with cream cheese&cumin.
- Homemade Wholewheat Tortillas - I have bought ready made back up tortillas for in case this doesn't come out right as I do not have a lot of faith in anything I make with flour in it.
- Taco De Matamoros - which I've already made as the cooked ground beef will keep in the fridge for 2 days.
- Tacos Al Pastor - Marinated pork fried with pineapple - not going to put it in a rotesserie - will just fry it.
- Chicken Mole
-Refried Beans
Serving with:
- Salsa
-Guacamole
-Sour Cream
-Cheddar Cheese(don't get the white Mexican cheese here)

Questions:
How long homemade tortillas will last in the fridge?
Do they usually serve Chicken Mole with tortillas (and with what then as I can't imagine it going well with guacamole) or with rice?
Any other suggestions ? I'm a limited in what I can make as we don't get tomatillas and all the different types of chilli peppers in South Africa

Hi- your menu sounds amazing! In Texas we usually see chicken mole served over rice. Have a great date night.

I was going to say rice, & bookworm beat me to the punch. How about corn as another side?

As with any bread, tortillas are best fresh. I would make them as close to meal time as possible. Personally, this would be a pretty high priority.

vyapti is right about tortillas - people here seem to buy them the day they plan to eat them. Flour tortillas, however, freeze well, so if you make them up a day or so ahead, stick them in the freezer (very well-wrapped). Otherwise, they will dry out before Thursday. And yes, EVERYTHING with tortillas. The people I know use a tortilla just like we use bread....they eat them with everything, usually putting the entree (including the rice) inside the tortilla, wrapping it up and eating it out of hand. I think your best bet (sorry) with chicken mole would be corn tortillas, though....One more note - while whole wheat tortillas may be a regular feature of Tex-Mex food, I have never seen them here in Mexico. Just regular white flour tortillas - made with LARD. Oh gosh, they are good.

Thanks all - I made the tortillas just before serving and it was really quick and easy. I served the chicken mole with rice in the end and it was great. Will try with corn tortillas next time - if I can find corn flour. The only thing that I wasn't impressed with was the refried beans but I made it from canned beans - will make them from scratch next time. Thanks for the tip on the tortillas Karen - will have to look for lard-can't remember ever seeing it over here (and then go to gym for 3 hours to work off the guilt - and lard:LOL:)

Thanks Jenny - it turned out great ! There's no good mexican restaurants around here so we have to make it ourselves. Hope you had a good time as well !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom