Mexican fajitas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabechef

Assistant Cook
I usually buy a pakaged mix for beef fajitas. Does anyone know the spices i can use instead of a mix?

I marinate mine with coarsely ground peppercorn mix (black, red, white, green), crushed garlic, toasted and ground coriander seed, and a drop of smokey flavour liquid in evoo.
Though I don't bother with smokey flavour if we are cooking the meat in a bbq grill, which doesn't happen as often as we would like...

I usually marinate my steak in a mixture of:
(for ~1 - 1 1/2 lbs. meat)
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c lime juice
1/2 T. minced garlic
1/2-1 tsp. cayenne
lots of cilantro, minced up
salt and pepper

of course some red bell and onion slices added to the saute.

That's it - and with some good guacamole and salsa, we're good to go!

And soy sauce is actually pretty good for them despite the fusion nature of it all. The first fajitas we ever had in Vail many years ago were marinated in soy.
The important part is the deeply caramelized peppers and onions that go with them.

Ah, yes, lime juice gives a nice flavour to fajitas! However I like to squeeze it over the meat while I am grilling, rather than mix it in the marinade. I tried both ways, seems to me the squeezing while grilling method gives more intense, fresh taste of the lime.

I've seen some recipe's with Mustard in the marinade.. have yet to give it a shot

But for me, you can have the best ingredients on the world inside, but they wont taste as good unless you have a delicious tortilla. I suggest making them from scratch!

Marinate your beef or chicken or shrimp in lime juice, cumin, thyme, granulated garlic and black pepper. (do the shrimp for the least amount of time or it will cook).

Cook the beef or chicken in whole pieces, slicing after they are cooked. Sprinkle with a bit more lime juice and a dash of sea salt.

Thank you all. I used a combination of all of these and they were great. I have never used cumin before so now i know how to use this spice.

urmaniac13 said:
Ah, yes, lime juice gives a nice flavour to fajitas! However I like to squeeze it over the meat while I am grilling, rather than mix it in the marinade. I tried both ways, seems to me the squeezing while grilling method gives more intense, fresh taste of the lime.

That's how most fajitas are prepared which I have been served. I always thought it was the key ingredient and technique that set fajitas apart from anything else. (guess not!)

Back
Top Bottom