Mexican Food Recipe : Healthy Guacamole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shiehua1

Assistant Cook
Ingredients :
  • 1 box (10 oz.) frozen peas, thawed
  • 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice, separated
  • 1 ripe Haas avocado, halved and pitted
  • 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1/3 cup Spanish onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tbsp. jalapeño, cored, seeded and finely chopped
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh ground black pepper
How To Make :
  1. In bowl of food processor, place peas and 1 tbsp. lime juice and process until smooth. Set aside.
  2. In medium bowl, spoon flesh from avocado, add remaining 1 tbsp. lime juice and mash with back of fork or potato masher. Add peas to mashed avocado and mix to combine. Add tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapeño and continue mixing until desired texture is reached.
  3. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap placed on surface of guacamole and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let flavors blend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peas or no peas... was guac ever unhealthy? (Not trying to be a smarty pants... just seems that pretty much anything you put in guac is raw veggies.) Or does the use of peas cut the use of avacados in half?

Hi shiehua1, welcome to Discuss Cooking.

I suppose the 'healthy' part of this recipe is the replacement of some amount of avocado by peas.

We do not make guac often, but when we do we want the McCoy, the whole shebang.

IMHO, the essence of guacamole is the unabashed presence of avocado.

Your substitution is creative. I don't think I will try it.

But welcome to DC.

In my opinion guacamole is rarely unhealthy. Some recipes include ingredients such as olive oil or dairy products with a little fat. But remember that avocadoes are very healthy.
And if you want your guacamole to be low fat, just make it without oil and dairy products. I usually use this low fat guacamole recipe with tomatoes and onion.

In my opinion guacamole is rarely unhealthy. Some recipes include ingredients such as olive oil or dairy products with a little fat. But remember that avocadoes are very healthy.
And if you want your guacamole to be low fat, just make it without oil and dairy products. I usually use this low fat guacamole recipe with tomatoes and onion.

Avacadoes have a fair amount of natural fat in them. You can purchace avacado oil for cooking. It is one of the healthier fats out there.

I might try adding mashed peas to quacamole just to see the differnce in flavor profile. I would think that younger sweet peas would not work as well as the older, less-sweet peas. Ought to be interesting.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

the fat content is high

you can cook shrimp in them.

but there is nothing wrong with healthy fat.

Peas
PEAS, GREEN,CNND,DRND,W/O SALT1 CUP 170 115 21 8 1 0 3
PEAS, GREEN,CNND,DRND, W/ SALT1 CUP 170 115 21 8 1 0 372

21 is the carb content of one cup of drained canned peas.

Last edited:
Yah, I'm not too sure about those peas either! I do looove guacamole. I especially miss all the wonderful Mexican restaurants in The Mission neighborhood of SF. Some of the best homemade guac ever!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom