Mexican Rice and Beans as you would find in a recipe help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Inspired by the stuffed pepper thread, I go a few questions about Mexican Rice and Beans , as you would find in a restaurant ( or at least my restaurant).

Id like to duplicate them as close as possible.

Heres the description.

Rice:
Rice is small thin grain
Color is a pale reddish orange
Its dry and flakey ( not soupy or saucey)
Very bland, but in a good way ( almost keep it simple stupid)
No obvious signs of vegetables or vegetable pieces ( such as onions, peppers or tomatoes)
When Dissecting it, i did detect what looked like tomato paste, which was probably supposed to break down, but i managed to find some that didn't

Beans:
Mostly smooth ( with a few beans that escaped the food processor blades)
No evidence of any other vegetables other than the beans
bland, but in a good way
always served with melted white bland cheese on top

I make a Spanish rice, which is not as dry, and has the obvious onions and peppers in it , which is very good, but I'm looking more for the simple, mexican rice served in my local restaurant.

Any recipes or help appreciated, even if not vegetarian
Im aware of the use of lard ( not that I use it) so it won't come as a complete shock if some of your suggestions require it.

Larry

Larry

Sounds like long grain rice maybe cooked in some tomato to give it color.

The beans appear to be refried. Pinto beans are typically used.

Mexican Rice

Ingredients:

• 1 cup brown rice
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 14½ oz can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
• ½ red bell pepper, diced
• ½ green bell pepper, diced
• 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp Mexican oregano
• 1/2 tsp ground coriander
• fresh cilantro for garnish

Instructions:

Pour vegetable broth and juice from petite diced tomatoes into a large measuring cup. Add water to make 2½ cups, if required. Put all ingredients into a rice cooker or a medium sized pot and cook as you would everyday rice.

Place the finished rice in a serving bowl and garnish it with fresh cilantro*.

Refried Beans

Ingredients:

• 1½ cups dry pinto beans
• 4 Tbs bacon fat
• ½ cup onion, minced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
• 2 tsp cumin
• 2 tsp paprika
• 2 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp black pepper

Instructions:

Soak the beans, covered in water, for 8 hours or overnight then drain and rinse the soaked beans. Cover them with fresh water by about 3 inches, bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 3 hours, adding more water if necessary, until the beans are tender. Drain the beans, reserving the bean broth.

In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and jalapeño in the bacon fat until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for about 45 seconds more.

Add the beans and some of the bean broth. Add the cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix well. Bring to a slow simmer and cook for 10 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once beans are heated through, mash them with a potato masher or an immersion blender to the desired consistency.

Place the refried beans in a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro* and scallions.

*If you're one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap, use epazote, which tastes more like kerosene, or just use parsley.

Last edited:
The addition of Sazón Goya con Azafran (saffron) will Mexican-up rice and beans. It's basically MSG with other seasonings, is vegan, and will give a bit of orangey color to rice. Comes in a box of small packets.

Nice recipes, SLoB! Have never heard epazote compared to kerosene :LOL:

Last edited:
Nice recipes, SLoB! Have never heard epazote compared to kerosene :LOL:

I've heard it compared to gasoline, kerosine, turpentine and creosote. Personally, I like it and I used it in place of cilantro in several of my Mexican dishes in Amoretti Test Kitchen taste tests to see if I get a negative reaction, but I never did. Fortunately there is a Mercado de Productos in my neighborhood so I have a ready supply.

Rice:
Rice is small thin grain
Color is a pale reddish orange
Its dry and flakey ( not soupy or saucey)
Very bland, but in a good way ( almost keep it simple stupid)

If this is really what you want, look for Del Real Arroz in your grocers refrigerated case. That's about as bland as Mexican style rice gets.

arroz-con-vegetables.png

don't forget a lot of restaurants are trying t cut corners and simplify a lot of recipes, read skip ingredients.

don't forget a lot of restaurants are trying t cut corners and simplify a lot of recipes, read skip ingredients.

Yeah, the rice i have there is very simple, can't even say its the greatest rice Ive ever eaten, but its great for what it is ( and the same with the beans). Its almost like it follows the rule " Less is more"

I always sauté the rice in the tiniest bit of oil first before adding the liquid - it does wonders for making a nice fluffy rice that has separate grains, as opposed to sticky rice. Saute just long enough that you begin to detect a nutty aroma. Add chicken or veggie broth and cook as directed.

I usually add a tiny bit of turmeric to the cooking liquid for the yellowy/orangey color, and sometimes a spoonful of salsa or a little tomato paste - not a lot, I don't want it to taste tomatoey. I like to mix a few peas in when I take it off the stove.

For the refried beans, I mash them a little more to make them creamier. I usually use Cotija to top while they're still hot. It's a hard, crumbly, rather salty flavored Mexican cheese and I'm pretty sure that's what they use in restaurants. It's delicious. Refried black beans are very good, too.

I need to try the Sazón Goya con Azafran that Dawg mentioned. Sounds good.

Last edited:
Sauteeing the rice is a great idea, Cheryl. I've done that with fideo (tiny Mexican pasta) for soup, it does bring out a good flavor. Hadn't tried it with rice, but will next time!

Last edited:
I will take a guess at what they are doing.

Slightly browning the rice in oil.
Adding purred tomato (out of a can), chicken bullion powder (the kind loaded with MSG) and water.
Cover and cook

For the beans
Cook beans until soft and reduce liquid, season with salt. Heat oil in pan add beans and mash with a bean masher.

Last edited:
The addition of Sazón Goya con Azafran (saffron) will Mexican-up rice and beans. It's basically MSG with other seasonings, is vegan, and will give a bit of orangey color to rice. Comes in a box of small packets.

This is what I also think is commonly used.

They also make it with annatto which is a more traditional latin spice that makes everything yellow.

This is what I also think is commonly used.

They also make it with annatto which is a more traditional latin spice that makes everything yellow.

Just looked in my Goya box, I combined the annatto packets with the ones with saffron, so I have some of both!

Larry, I also like the Mexican Rice just as you described. Mexican rice is nothing like Spanish rice.

Here's what I said back in 2010 about it..

My friend owns a Mexican restaurant and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry rice for a minute or two. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice.
Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

Last edited:
Sauteeing the rice is a great idea, Cheryl. I've done that with fideo (tiny Mexican pasta) for soup, it does bring out a good flavor. Hadn't tried it with rice, but will next time!

It really is crucial step to an end result of fluffy rice. Something to do with sealing the grains, so they don't burst and release as much starch. I sauté all rice in a tiny bit of oil before cooking it, not just with Mexican rice. Fluffy every time!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom