Miso paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Do Y'all on this fun list use Miso?

I bought some from the fridge section of my local food store.

I got the Red variety, supposed to be Tastey and good for you, as it is alive and fermented.

I have been on a real Noodle soup Jag lately, but would like to move beyound the usual Pkg. Ramen Noodles I buy at the Walmart!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Im hit or miss with Miso.
Only Miso soup Ive ever really liked was in Providence RI.
I have a tub of Miso in my fridge, must be several years old ( stuff lasts forever)
On occasions Ill throw a spoon of it in something.

I absolutely love miso. I usually use a white miso or chickpea miso because both are lower in sodium. I have used more robust types that have a deeper flavor and it's nice, but I buy in large quantities (15lb bucket) that usually last 10-11 months. I buy high quality brands and have to have them shipped in($$$), and they don't ship from April to Oct because of the heat. We keep the bucket in the freezer and have a jar that we refill from it in the frig. There is a difference in the flavor and textures of differing brands, some are much more to my liking than others. When we run out during the no ship period and I make it civilization that has an asian market, I buy some to carry us over-- cheaper but not as good, IMHO. I've tried some other brands that do ship during the warm months and they can be good enough.

I make a lot of "soups" (more like stew to porridge consistancy) and I don't use salt when cooking and add the miso right before serving. I eat a vegan diet and my wife is almost so, though she will occasionally have a bit of parmesan on pasta. At our house we've used it in place of cheese or butter on veggie sandwiches. I prefer it to a soy sauce when eating rice or noodles taking a small dab and mixing it in. I have even experiement with using sweets to get a sweet n' salty combination.

There are a lot of different recipes out there if you like the stuff and need a few ideas.

Not going to comment on the health benefits--because honestly, I don't know.

I often use miso as a seasoning ingredient, mostly in soups, but I'm not a fan of miso soup. I have some yellow miso in the fridge, but use mostly red, for the extra flavor.

A friend used to mix Miso with tahini paste and serve it with pita. Love Miso. It is on my list to pick up at the base when I go with my Dad to GF. I love all Miso and use it in soups, in gravy, with seafood.

When I wasn't eating nightshades, I did a lot of web searching for tomato and tomato paste substitutes. One of them that I found, but never tried, was to substitute miso for tomato paste, when the tomato paste is in a dish mostly for the umami.

I love miso as well and have several staple uses.

• Miso soup with ginger and pine nuts as an pre-dinner hunger chaser.
  • Braised veggies (stir fry) and add a dollop of miso at the end to season.

Since I'm not sure how well miso keeps and I seem to go through it slowly, I store it in the freezer. Is this needed?

Back
Top Bottom