Mustard Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
While I haven't yet checked for this at my nearest ethnic market, does anyone here purchase it - & have a brand they can recommend - or make it themselves?

BreezyCooking said:
While I haven't yet checked for this at my nearest ethnic market, does anyone here purchase it - & have a brand they can recommend - or make it themselves?

You can make it yourself. Grapeseed oil makes the best medium because of it's neutral flavor and color, although canola or extra-light olive oil will work well too. Depending on what kind of flavor you want, you can use a dry mustard like Colmans, or use toasted and ground mustard seeds. Use about 1/2 cup of powder for every 1 cup of oil for a nice, intense flavor. Use more oil or less powder if you want a more subtle flavor. Heat the oil to about 170 degrees, then remove from the heat, add the mustard and let steep for 20 minutes to extract the flavors. Strain and keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.

ironchef said:
You can make it yourself. Grapeseed oil makes the best medium because of it's neutral flavor and color, although canola or extra-light olive oil will work well too. Depending on what kind of flavor you want, you can use a dry mustard like Colmans, or use toasted and ground mustard seeds. Use about 1/2 cup of powder for every 1 cup of oil for a nice, intense flavor. Use more oil or less powder if you want a more subtle flavor. Heat the oil to about 170 degrees, then remove from the heat, add the mustard and let steep for 20 minutes to extract the flavors. Strain and keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.

I don't know if that's correct or not, because I haven't tasted yours, ironchef, but Mustard Oil is used extensively in Indian food. I've tried to make my own and it doesn't even come close to the original.

Buy Mustard Oil in your local Indian Grocery store. Never mind what it says on the label about "not for human consumption" - there are at least 500,000,000 Indian food consumers out there ( including myself) who have eaten Mustard Oil without any side effects.

The smell is nose-tingling. The food you prepare with it is exotic, slightly spicy, very yummy...

Just like the Chinese, Indians also believe in the cooling and warm properties of certain foods. Per Indians, mustard is considered to be something that is warm on your system and to be used in moderation.

It is normally used to make preparations that you will see eaten in the colder months so that the warmer effects it has on your body is balanced by the weather outside.

Mostly used in North India (cooler) and used to make saags (spinach and mustard greens). It is very strong and an acquired taste so it's best to use it sparingly.

cliveb said:
I don't know if that's correct or not, because I haven't tasted yours, ironchef, but Mustard Oil is used extensively in Indian food. I've tried to make my own and it doesn't even come close to the original.

No, my version is more of an infused oil that I would use to dress a plate and to add another layer of flavor to a dish, not the type that you're referring to.

Last edited:
That's interesting IC, and one I shall try! I never thought of doing that one before! I use the "other" mustard oil in my Frim Fram Sauce for Seafood Diana, and it packs quite a little wallop.... :D

Back
Top Bottom