My Asian Style Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you very much. I really need to invest time and money into photography. I plan to build a recipe blog, but i cannot do that until I take presentable pictures.

You pics are better than some of my favorite food blogs. The hard part is taking a pic of every step and writing it out. To be a great food blogg you need to be able to walk a novice cook thru your dish. Do that and you will have a big following.

I applaud your desire to produce a blog.

I recommend that you get a book on Food Styling, and one of the first things they cover is cleaning up the edges of the plate - No slop, sprinkles, drips, smears or anything except the edge of the food. And second, ONLY use on-camera flash outdoors (to fill in shadows). NEVER use on-camera flash indoors (and that includes shooting anything, especially people!) Use natural light, sidelighting, fill lighting, top flash (from a remote) and be aware of your background.

There are tons of other things for you to learn about food photography, but remain open to learning, and talk to those who have done it.

Good luck and have fun!

Great photos and lovely food. Good job. TheNightCooker, do you have a food blog?

O.K. you asked. I would like you to post the following

recipes PLEASE.

Garlic Shrimp
Braised Prawns
Dumplings
Spicey Shrimp
Szechuan Style Steamed Crawfish
Lemon Grass Chicken
Crawfish and Crab boil

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

wonderful pics!! i am not a big seafood lover but the pictures are GREAT!!

i would love a recipe (a pork filling version of each) for the dumplings and the wonton soup with the bok choy.

my favorite chinese resturant closed after 30 years and no other places make a sub gum chicken chow mein. i am dying for it and my version is close BUT .............. not quite. do you have a recipe for this dish?

Would have been nice to have recipe for all of the above things, but he hasn't posted here since 2009, I doubt he is about to come back now. Too bad.

Yes, it is too bad. Those are some wonderful looking dishes.

For those of you who want or need instruction on making many types of sushi, this link leads to one of the best sushi/video sites I've ever found:

My Sushi Daddy

If you look to the right bottom of each page, it has a list of items to make. Each of these has it's own video of it being made.

Some really good looking sushi at this site!:pig::ermm::pig::ermm::pig::wacko:

Last edited:
Some freestyle asian mix styel cooking

Crawfish and Blue Crab Boil
img_1197694_0_23e65a528252e0d5c9baf2592d9dd414.jpg

That looks really yummy. I love seafood!!!!!

They all look great. Welcome to DC :)
I'd love the recipes for your wonton soup and cheese prawns! My favourites. I live in South Africa and the Asian food is not great here. All the take out joints sell the same things. Lots of sweet and sour and chowmein.

I'd love the recipes for your wonton soup and cheese prawns! My favourites.

Ironically TheNightCooker last visited us about 4 months after making this post: Nov. 23, 2009, about three years ago. But the recipes still look good!

I live in South Africa and the Asian food is not great here. All the take out joints sell the same things. Lots of sweet and sour and chowmein.

If you can get the ingredients we can give you lots of good Asian recipes. Asian cuisine is one of my specialties, particularly Thai and Chinese, and I really like making sushi although my best results have been the rolls. Nigiri not so good, the tops fall off! :)

Ironically TheNightCooker last visited us about 4 months after making this post: Nov. 23, 2009, about three years ago. But the recipes still look good!

If you can get the ingredients we can give you lots of good Asian recipes. Asian cuisine is one of my specialties, particularly Thai and Chinese, and I really like making sushi although my best results have been the rolls. Nigiri not so good, the tops fall off! :)

Thanks, will be nicking some recipes off you then :) We can get all the ingredients here.
Any idea what to do with rice paper sheets? Bought them instead of rice paper wrappers for spring rolls. Not sure what to do with these, they're thinner. Kind of like the rice paper on White Rabbit sweets.

Hint Hint... I like asian soups, dumplings and Thai spring rolls most. Any recipes would be welcome ;)

I think you can use the sheets the same way as wraps, that is of course if we are talking about the same thing. You may just have to cut them to size needed.

Rice paper sheets? Could you be talking abouut round tapioca sheets (approx 8" diameter) used in Vietnamese cuisine? If so I can tell you how to make those. I've got some right here as I type--I was going to make them last week but didn't.

Rice paper sheets? Could you be talking abouut round tapioca sheets (approx 8" diameter) used in Vietnamese cuisine? If so I can tell you how to make those. I've got some right here as I type--I was going to make them last week but didn't.

They are rectangular sheets, the size of an A4 piece of paper. It has a sticker on that says rice paper.
I've got 4 packets!!! Help :(

It sounds to me like you've got something similar to parchment. If it's edible I don't know how to use it.

Edible parchment, now that's a novel idea :LOL:

It's edible for sure! It seems to be the rice paper that they use for wrapping sweets. Not sure what else I could do with it though. Can't make white rabbit sweets and I bought it for spring rolls darnit :wacko:
Guess I'm stuck with a stack of edible paper, maybe I'll start a new diet trend?!
How to lose 10 pounds while eating your stationary :P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom