My Spanakopita Was Flat :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I have made spanakopita before, but I've always rolled it up into longer rolls and made a snail in a decorative dish. This past weekend I tried making just a flat ol' spanakopita but it ended up like REALLY flat, nothing like what my fiance's family makes, theirs is big and fluffy. It could have been I skimped on the butter for some of the layers.. but the layers I didn't skimp on didn't even stick to each other after cooking. It was so strange.

What did I do wrong? How do you make this pie in just a regular pan, flat?

It's a question of how many layers you used and how much butter you put on every layer.

When we make spanakopita or paklava we use a whole package (40 layers-20 layers in the box cut in half to fit the pan=40 layers). Each layer is buttered.

It's a question of how many layers you used and how much butter you put on every layer.

When we make spanakopita or paklava we use a whole package (40 layers-20 layers in the box cut in half to fit the pan=40 layers). Each layer is buttered.

I've never tried making spanakopita or baklava. I have enjoyed eating them. I remember seeing lots of layers with baklava, but I don't remember a lot of layers of phylo pastry with spanakopita.

I've never tried making spanakopita or baklava. I have enjoyed eating them. I remember seeing lots of layers with baklava, but I don't remember a lot of layers of phylo pastry with spanakopita.

They're actually alike except for the filling. Paklava (baklava) is layers of buttered filo with a filling of nuts, sugar cinnamon, etc. with a simple syrup or honey syrup. Spanakopita is a spinach and cheese, etc filling with layers of buttered filo.

They're actually alike except for the filling. Paklava (baklava) is layers of buttered filo with a filling of nuts, sugar cinnamon, etc. with a simple syrup or honey syrup. Spanakopita is a spinach and cheese, etc filling with layers of buttered filo.

I'll have to pay better attention the next time I order pikilia.

Andy mate this is a Pita I made for the easter festival in Kendal Miamipadeswood 028.jpg my wife makes the Baklava the Greek way with plain honey syrup, the nuts are walnut and almonds, sorry no pics I eat it to quickly:)

This is spanakopita as I described.

Attachments

• imagezs.jpg
    imagezs.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 90
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 93
I haven't seen one like this before.
Andy Pita a you probably know means pie in Greek, Serbian, Croatian in fact everywhere the Turks conquered, Greeks like to argue, one of the big debates is about the vegetables to be used in moussaka or is the grill to hot or not hot enough, the biggest prob is the Cypriots who think they are the best cooks:) so the shapes of pita are regional.the pita in the pic was Kalamata farmer shape. The pics are grilling pig for lunch outside the office in Piraeus, me being mistreated by 4 greeks in some port somewhere, and my favorite sausage shop across the road from the Agora Athens

Attachments

• DSCF0390.jpg
    DSCF0390.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF0393.jpg
    DSCF0393.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 205
  • padeswood 038.jpg
    padeswood 038.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Ps the best Kreme pita/ mille feuilles in the world are from Despina's in Athens unless you are from Creta or you are a Spartan both are trouble makers:LOL:

Thanks guys. I did use the entire pack of phyllo however it may not have been enough.

I think I will stick to my way, of buttering each sheet and rolling it up, into a snail form in the pan. I made tiropita tonight that way and it just cooks so nicely... you can just tear a piece off rather than cut it all up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom