Nam-sad (Nem-Sad? / Nim-sad?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
My dad ordered in some Thai food when I drove home this past weekend and had this dish waitin at home for me. The best I could tell was that it was ground chicken breast, ginger, lime, cilantro, and a few peanuts and bean sprouts.

Anyone have a good recipe for this dish? I tried to duplicate it and have had some success. I have seen some recipes which call for fish sauce, and various ingredients to give the dish a little heat. If you've made this, what works for you?

The ingredients that you listed sounds very similar to a recipe that I have made. I use chicken breasts in my version of the recipe and cook them on the grill.

Chicken with Cilantro

6 cilantro sprigs
1 tablespoon peppercorns
2 garlic cloves chopped
Juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons fish sauce
4 large or 6 medium size chicken drumsticks or thighs

Using a pestle and mortar or small food processor, pound or mix together cilantro, peppercorns, garlic, lime juice, and fish sauce and set aside.

Using a sharp knife cut slashes in chicken. Spread spice mixture over chicken and cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, turning occasionally.

Preheat broiler. Broil chicken, basting a turning occasionally, about 10 minutes until golden and cooked through.

Last edited:
Nam Sad is ground pork (see here.) But I suppose youcould use chicken.

What you might have had is a common Thai dish called Larb or Lab. See here.

I haven't made it but I can't imagine any Thai recipe tasting remotely authentic without fish sauce. It's in everything. The heat is up to you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom