Need recipe for lentils using this garam masala recipe please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my goodness, I'm so frustrated! :unhappy: A few days ago, I found a recipe for a lentil soup that called for garam masala, but I didn't have any on hand and I was looking for something quick then so I put it off.

Now I have had some time and wanted to make it, but I made the garam masala from scratch first. I've never done this before, and used this recipe (because I wanted items whole):

1/4 cup black cumin seed
2 large bay leaves, crushed
2 tablespoons green cardamom seeds
1/4 cup black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
1 tablespoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mace
4 cinnamon sticks, broken
1 pinch ground nutmeg

(As an aside, I don't have mace, and I only have ground cumin. I was going to sub a pinch less nutmeg for mace, and guess on the equivalent ground cumin to the final powder.)

However, I cannot find the original recipe to save my life!

I'm curious if anyone can offer a simple lentil recipe that would go well with this mix?! I don't want to have to measure out a gazillion more spices when I've already got this made. I have red lentils, fresh ginger, coconut milk, lots of veggies (onions, garlic, carrots, kale, potatoes) available, but only a few tomatoes btw. I know the basic techniques, and veggies, but not the proportions. I'm not used to cooking Indian food often.

Any suggestions? Can you help please!!!

Basically you just rinse and cook your lentils. After they're done, in a separate pot you add some oil, some onion, some garlic, some chilis if you want, cumin seeds, mustard seeds... then add about a tablespoon of garam masala to it. Then add the lentils. That's it.

Here's a recipe you can try, just substitute garam masala for curry paste. Red Lentil Curry Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And here's another, this one will come out better, Dal Tadka - YouTube just add 1tbsp of garam masala at the end of cooking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom