New Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey masteraznchefjr, I guess exams are all done and you are on break???? I hope you have a great one!! I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season.

thanks you have a good holiday too hmm im not exactly on break yet still got monday tuesday and wednesday. hope i have no school tommrow since its "snowing".

Seaweed sheet

Just a quick question reguarding sushi, love the sushi idea but can't get by that green seaweed sheet. Try and try but that taste just doesn't appeal to me, am I the only one????

Nope you are not the only one. I don't hate it or anything, but I could do without it (in sushi at least).

If you are in a situation where you want to eat sushi, order the kind where the feature (I don't know what else to call it since it can be anything from omelet to cuke to raw fish or boiled shrimp) is on top of a cube of formed rice (no seaweed). OR have you tried what I consider inside-out sushi (California roll is the best example) where the seaweed is between the rice and the filling? Gets you past the texture. Personally, if I'm on one of the coasts or in Hawaii, just order sashimi. I miss this so much!!!

Clair, I think the kind you are thinking of is called Nigiri, but I could be wrong. I am notoriously bad with the names of different types of sushi. The inside out rolls are great too as you mentioned. Having the seaweed on the inside does help with the texture. You bite into the rice instead of getting the seaweed first. And as long as the fish is good then sashimi is an absolute treat, especially for purists.

I have to go to Madison or Davenport for sushi/sashimi, so it is a rare treat. I bought all the stuff to make sushi (particularly California rolls, cucumber rolls, etc, stuff you don't need super fresh fish for), but haven't done it yet. When we lived in Hawaii this was something we had easily weekly. When we lived in Daytona there was a good sushi bar, so we had it a few times a year. I think I've had sushi a couple times since we moved here. It isn't so much just the sushi itself, but the entire experience of sitting at the bar, sipping sake, chatting with the chef and those around us, and trying something new all add up to fun.

Back
Top Bottom