Olives: What do you do with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perthikes Me Elies ke Selino, my Greek is a bit rusty to translate quickly so if you want I will post later when my wife who is fluent will translate.

Last edited:
Souvlaki, Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Fried Olives ! Fabulous idea ... Definitely going to prepare your appetiser for an aperitif for Nathalia´s birthday on the 21st.

Thanks so much for your contribution ...

Have a wonderful day,
Ciao, Margi.

Acerbi,

Wow Tagine ... I had posted a fish Tagine and a chicken one some time ago ... Yes, a good reminder ...

I too, love Niçoise olives, several types of Spanish and Italian olives, and my fave are Greek black Kalamata in Evoo. Dangerous hobby, I can eat a whole kilo !

There is a Spanish deep dark olive green olive, I adore, from the province of Jaén, Andalusia and the province of Ciudad Real, Castilla La Mancha; they are called Machadas in Spanish ... Machada more or less, means, crushed or broken ... They are distinct looking, in fact that they are oval, very very dark olive Army green, and look like they are slightly slit, or broken in half ... They are wonderful ...

Spain also produces a black olive which has a similiar texture to the Kalamata from Greece ...

I appreciate your post and shall read the link sent. Thanks so much.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Chief: Thank you for your suggestions & feedback

Just a note to thank you for your valuable contribution on Olives, the Mediterranean Morsels of Divinity ...

The reason I had started this Post, is that Nathalia, my younger daughter shall be celebrating her birthday on 21st, and she is an Olive Enthusiast ... So the meze, or tapas, shall all be olive focused ... and represent the Mediterranean countries, Greece, Italia, Spain and Provençal France.

Thanks again for your contribution.
Ciao, Margaux.

Chief,

The Italian Raw Pork based Salami is : Sopressata in Italian ...

There is also a Mallorquin Designation of Origin, version of this pork cold cut deli meat, that is quite popular as a Tapa in Spain.

Thanks, for your contribution.

Have nice August.
Margi.

Between manicures, I put one on each finger. j/k. ;)

Caponata

Muffuletta with layers of marinated olive salad, capicola, salami, pepperoni, ham, Swiss cheese and provolone

Enchiladas covered w/ sour cream & topped w/ sliced black olives

Tacos, taco salads

My favorite pizza toppings - black olives, red onions & mushrooms

Tuna (or salmon), pasta (penne) salad w/ black olives, red onion, cherry tomatoes, artichokes, red wine vinaigrette dressing & freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Sub sandwiches - tomatoes, olives, red onion, deli cold cuts, mushrooms, shredded lettuce, provolone etc.

In an omelette - w/ cream cheese, tomatoes, onions

Pesto/Tapenade

Greek tomato tart w/ feta, olives, tomatoes

Over a baked potato w/ sour cream

Last edited:
I almost forgot...

Watermelon & feta salad with black olives.

I'm sure there are lots, but those come to mind at the moment.

Cerise: Another Idea For Avocado & the Ceviche

:yum: Good Morning Cerise,

Wow, yesterday evening, we went through some of our Ceviche recipes and also had come across, a lovely idea for your Avocado Thread; Stuff a large ripe red tomato, scoop out the interior, and place a stunning shrimp salad employing avocado, lime or lemon, a bit of spring onion, home made Mayo ( Evoo, Egg Yolk & Salt & a touch of Dijon Mustard and beat energetically until a Mayonnaise Paste forms ) and place in the tomatoes. Serve with Avocado on side and bread sticks ...

Now, here is a Ceviche Recipe which can be altered to one´s specific taste buds and palate:

Acapulco, Mexican Ceviche:

1 pound of shrimp ( devein, and discard shells except for tails )
1/2 pound of firm fresh white fish avail in your region; sliced into 1 inch by 1/2 inch cubes
1 small magenta red onion sliced finely ( can use white, yellow, spring onion or scallions if this is too strong of a flavor for you )
1 small Hass, black wrinkled very ripe yet firm Avocado cut into tiny cubes
4 serrano chili peppers sliced finely
1 large lime or 2 small limes: squeeze for the Juice
3 cherry tomatoes sliced finely or 1 ripe red plum type tomato
1 1/2 cups of green olives stuffed with red bell sliced
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 or 1 small jalapeño ( the piquantness is up to you )
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 tablespoons fresh finely minced Cilantro
salt and freshly ground rose, green, white and black peppercorns ground

*** Put all of these ingredients in a large glass or ceramic bowl ( do not use metal or plastic ) and Marinate the ingredients for no more than 1/2 hour.

*** Taste test the marinade and see if this is desirable to your palate, as if you marinate longer than 20mins. to 1/2 hour, the marinade can become quite Bitey and unpleasant.

Thanks again for all your assistance with your very innovative and lovely ideas for the 21st.

Have nice August, Ciao.
Margaux.

Last edited:
Mufalleta sandwiches. Go to Napoleon's in New Orleans if you're there, but otherwise buy a round boule type loaf. Pick out some of the bread so it gets a bowl-type shape. Mix those bread crumbs with lots of chopped olives, onions, garlic, olive oil. Meanwhile layer the bread with your favorite deli meats and cheeses, then pile on the olive relish. Cut the loaf into wedges. Serve cold in the summer, but go ahead and warm it in the winter. Yummy yum yum.

yeach, I hate olives

Hee hee hee Lol LOL. I read thru 4 pages starting w/ Margi's list et al and a few recipes and come to find this statement at the end. It's ok and truly made me laugh.

Olives are best in a Gin Martini's not vodka. ( I know, we each have preferences). I confess I discovered an "allergy" to olives (and appararently gin), and took the "cure". It's the "pits". Well, not really. 20 years or so later, I can at least Look at some one else's martini and savor it, if not the actual taste.

That said, I like olive tapenade, and what is the dip/ spread that has both olives and egg-plant, I like that; olives sliced on pizza, black( California ) olives on Tex/Mex/ dishes.

Kalamata olives go good with dishes where pesto is used. Greek salad. Any salad.

Chopped olives mixed in with a muffeleta sandwich. Better if made at home than most found in the few local restaurants that make these.

Around here, there are several grocery markets that have olive bars. Mix and match. I discovered tinly little one, I think Nicoise ? olives and some that were also little and wrinkled up like a big raisin, both are quite good. I just mix and match in a container, and don't remember what Kind they necessarily are.

I love black and green olives, you know, the kind that come in the jars, stuffed with pimentos, and in a can. But I also really like the olives in the olive bar, at the grocers. I just don't know the names of them. I like them in everything everyone else posted before me. And I like olive oil on my submarine sandwiches, and maybe a little added to my pasta.

Popeye likes his Olive Oil sittin' on his lap, givin' 'im a big smooch.:brows: :in_love: :blush:
I wonder if he eats olives off of the ends of Olive's fingers.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom