Osso Buco & Risotto alla Milanese (w/Gremolata)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ChefJune said:
Nick... Risotto Milanese is a classic recipe, and pretty straightforward. What kind of variation are you considering?

Maybe the butter factor?? Being from Rome, I was sautèeing the onion with evoo, and when I mentioned that here I got an immediate scolding from RDG:LOL:

To make a truly authentic risotto milanese, one gotta fry in butter, also not a broth from cubes like many modified versions do, but a real bone marrow extract!!

RDG, I have read the story behind the yellow/golden rice before, too... thanks for sharing here, it is an interesting tidbit!!

I'm going to use butter exclusively (no EVOO) and serve the grated parmesan on the side as RDG recommended. I also plan to cut back on the amount of saffron I was using... it was a bit overwhelming first time around.

This weekend maybe... hopefully...

My kitchen is going to be bare and empty until summer when classes are out. Been chowing at the local sushi bar a lot.

Gotta' go - have to pass out for a bit before I go to work.

The same process has been used for another milanese dish, "cotoletta", a veal stheak covered with crumbled bread. May be you know it as "wienerschnitzel", but it' s from Milano (this is an old war between Milano and Wien...:LOL: )
It's awfully good, wherever it comes from, imo! :LOL:

It was the first thing I ate in Milano, its Italian to me. In fact that meal was wonderful, the cotoletta was hidden underneath a salad of rugola and cherry tomatoes each tomato an explosion of sweetness. Much nicer than how I had had it before.

Back
Top Bottom