Oven-baked Falafels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
This is one of our favourites!! They are made in forms of medallions, instead of the regular little balls, in order to ensure they will be cooked evenly in the oven. Much less fat content than the traditional deep fried version, so you can enjoy this wonderful treat with less guilt, and surprisingly, just as good!!

1 regular tin of chickpea (something like 400g/14oz?) well drained
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of chickpea flour
1/3 cup of bread crumbs
1 egg
dash of ground coriander
dash of dill weed
(optional) 1 tbsp sesame seed
salt & pepper

Mush up the drained chickpea from the tin, onion and garlic in a blender.
Add the chickpea flour, bread crumbs and egg and blend further to make a slightly lumpy thick paste.
To controll the texture, if it is too moist/soft to handle add a little more chickpea flour or breadcrumbs, if it is too dry/solid add a little water.
Add coriander, dill weed, sesame seed, s & p and give another run on the blender to mix everything well.
With this mixture form little medallions with the size about 6cm/2 1/2in. diameter and 1cm/a little less than half inch thickness. There will be about 8 or 9.
Place on a greased non-stick baking sheet, put it in the fridge and let them chill for an hour or two.
Preheat the oven at 200C/400C.
Take out the falafels, brush well each side of the falafel with olive oil, and bake it for circa 10 minutes.
Turn over the falafel, and bake for another 10minutes or until both sides are golden brown.

The perfect accompaniment is tzaziki, the mediterranean cucumber/yogurt sauce. We also like them with a roasted bell pepper sauce. You can enjoy with a side of Tabouli, or makes great sandwich with flatbreads!(serve it with generous slices of tomatoes, cucumber and chopped lettuce!)
Buon Appetito!!:chef:

urmaniac13,

Have you actually tried these and loved them? Are they as crispy and good as fried? I have only eaten fried falafel 2-3 times and loved it. I'd like to try these if they are worth the effort.

I assume that I can find chickpea flour in an Indian or Mid-East market?

Lee

Yes we make this from time to time don't worry it is a proven recipe! Well it maybe not as crispy as the deep fried version, but the surface DO get the similar effect if you make sure you brush on sufficient oil and then let them turn golden brown on each side in the oven. Try it, it is fairly easy and it will be worthwhile!!
Yes, I do get the chickpea flour in an indian market (we live very close to the ethnic zone in Rome, so we can get all kinds of exotic ingredients easily!! :-D), but if you go to a large supermarket which have a good stock of eclectic items or large "weigh and purchase" section, you may be able to find it. Good luck!!

urmaniac13, thanks for the recipe. I love falafel. Have made it twice now, the deep fried version and always looking for other options than deep frying. Next time I will give these a go.

wow thats great, falafels without deep frying! I love it!!!!!
Thank you so much for that recipe Licia!
I like falafels a lot but didn't make them very often because of the deep frying.....

htc said:
urmaniac13, thanks for the recipe. I love falafel. Have made it twice now, the deep fried version and always looking for other options than deep frying. Next time I will give these a go.

Me too!!! Thanks urmaniac...I'll definitely try this now.

QSis said:
I assume that I can find chickpea flour in an Indian or Mid-East market?

Lee,

If you have a problem finding chickpea flour .... just grab a bag of dried chickpeas and grind your own. You can use a food processor or a coffee grinder that you use for grinding spices and dried herbs, or even a morter and pestal. All you need to do is just grind the dried beans down into the consistency of flour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom