Panang Curry: Fish Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
htc said:
Jennyma, saw the pictures of the different kinds of fish sauce. So funny, as a kid growing up, my Mom always taught me to use the squid brand for cooking, but to use the 3 crabs or golden boy brand for eating. Meaning eating at the table as a dip or using to make lime dipping fish sauce. Not sure what the rationale is for that, could be due to the slight taste difference, and the cost. Squid is usually a lot cheaper, so the 3 crabs is reserved for table dipping, you don't use as much as when you cook.

That makes sense, at least to me, but for a difft. reason. To my palate, Squid brand is a bit stronger-tasting and 3 Crabs and Golden Boy are still rich but slightly milder. Would make sense to cook with the stronger stuff and serve th emilder as a table condiment.

I am vegan so don't use fish sauce. Any good suggestions for alternatives? I sometimes use a bit of soy sauce. I also am trying to find a recipe or source for Plig King curry paste. any info would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to confess this, but a big bottle of nuoc mom or nam pla will live forever in my fridge, and much as I love Asian food, this is a pain. I cheat and use anchovie paste or even for some dishes Worcestershire sauce (which has fish sauce in it!). NO, it isn't THE SAME, and the dish will not taste as perfect as the one at the restaurant (which is why I go to restaurants). But in a pinch ..... I cheat. The paste takes less space in the fridge and works in a pinch. Obviously if you're a vegan, none of the above works.

lorie said:
I am vegan so don't use fish sauce. Any good suggestions for alternatives? I sometimes use a bit of soy sauce. I also am trying to find a recipe or source for Plig King curry paste. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Soy sauce is probably the only vegan sub, really.

It's usually called Pik King. I find these prepared curry pastes to be very good and WAY easier than assembling the necessary and sometimes exotic ingredients that are necessary to make it authentic.

They call it Prik King.

http://importfood.com/cpma0405.html

http://www.templeofthai.com/food/curry_paste/

Last edited:
I don't put my fish sauce in the refrig. My 2 year old bottle is still fine. If you have an interest in the real methods of making all these wonderful sauces and curries, you might enjoy the book Cracking the Coconut by Su-Nei Yu.

After I made a few from scratch, I decided that the jars and cans of sauces at our market were just fine. Thai cooking is work.

Seattle has a huge Asian community so we have lots of selection and choice. Also some really good restaurants that are very willing to make it for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom