Panna Cotta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
The original recipe for the wonderfully refreshing Italian dessert - Panna Cotta Is so easy to make, and so good. A few years back, I was trying to decrease my simple carbs (starches), but was in the mood for a chocolaty desert. I wondered what would happen if I made a cup of sugar-free hot cocoa, and dissolved unflavored gelatin into it. I did so, refrigerated it until it was cold and was rewarded with a very tasty chocolate jello. That's what i called it. Then, a few months later, I discovered panna cotta, thanks to the WWW. I didn't know it was a thing before that. Here's the classic, Italian version:

Ingredient
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 teaspoons powdered gelatin (1 Knox unflavored gelatin packet)
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups light or heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch salts:

pour the milk, cream, and sugar into the top half of a double boiler, with a cuup of water in the bottom half. Heat until milk mixture is steaming. Stir to dissolve the sugar, Add the vanilla extract. Add the gelatine powder (1 packet of Knox unflavored gelatin is the correct amount). Stir to dissolve the gelatine.
pour into lightly oiled ramekins, or into desert cups. Chill for two hours.

Chief's alterations:
1. Add 3 tbs, chocolate malt powder to the milk mixture. Omit the sugar.
2. Add 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3. Replace the milk and cream with butter pecan ice cream
4. Replace the milk mixture with Cheesecake flavored cream cheese and cream
5.Aff strawberry syrup to milk mixture
6. Add extra gelatine to make panna cotta knox blocks
7. umold your vanilla panna cotta from oiled mold, and top with appropriate desert sauce of choice
8. Repave white sugar with dark brown sugar, add salted butter for butterscotch panna cotta
9, Add chocolate chips, but don't melt them.
10. Don't add bacon!:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
If you blend in the ice cream after everything else is well mixed, it will solidify noticeably faster. I do that when making a peach mousse. I got the recipe from one of those Knox recipe pamphlets.

Back
Top Bottom