Pea Dumplings >> Completely Indian!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vickie1388

Assistant Cook
2485977879_0f08a35058.jpg

Time: 15-30 mins

Indredients :
Peas -100 gms
Gram Flour -200 gms
Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander powder-1/2 tsp
Baking powder-1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Water-1/4 cup (approx)
Oil for frying

Method :
Dry grind the peas in a mixer .mix with gram flour and put all other ingredients.
Mix water and make a thick batter. keep aside for 15 min.fry as small dumplings in hot oil.Serve with mint chutney or tomato ketchup.

Fast and Easy!
Enjoy! :chef:

Where do I start? LOL. First, are they cooked peas or raw? And if cooked, are they set aside until dry then used? And what is gram flour? And lastly, is the pea stuff a filling and if so what is the dough or wrapper?
Sorry for all the questions, beginner here with Indian food, but thanks in advance!

Where do I start? LOL. First, are they cooked peas or raw? And if cooked, are they set aside until dry then used? And what is gram flour? And lastly, is the pea stuff a filling and if so what is the dough or wrapper?

I also have all these questions.

One thing I can tell you gram flour ('besan' in Hindi) is the flour prepared from chana dal or chick pea.

How can I make those shapes (as shown in picture) with batter? We can make it with tight dough but not with batter.

We have ethnic grocery stores here, but I am thinking I am going to have to do some searching around to find it. So it is made from chick peas ground into flour? Or a combo of flour and chick peas? Cause if I had a guide I could probably make it in my food processor.. hopefully.

Maverick - re: the chickpea flour, Asian markets do carry it. I've had 2 pounds of it sitting around that I bought on a lark because I saw a recipe on tv that called for it, but that I've never even opened - lol! Guess it's time for me to crack open one of my gazillion Indian cookbooks & start using it.

Would this be a variety of samosa? I have had a spicy version at a local Indian restaurant that I like very much. I have also had potato in them. Vickie, your photo looks very inviting indeed.

But I have to agree that the photo is VERY misleading when paired with the recipe. The photo is clearly of a filling inside a carefully folded dumpling wrapper. The recipe is for a fried dropped dumpling. Which is which?

Kinda sounds like it, in the way that all those fry breads are similar or ravioli and cheese blintzes and what not are similar...

^Now I have you doing it, Mav! Lol.
Exactly!!!! However, I think blintzes are close cousins to cannelloni. Andy was married to an Italian woman and she loved blintzes because she related them to cannelloni.

Last edited:
The food shown in the picture not familiar to me. But I am sure you cannot prepare that food according to given recipe.

Would this be a variety of samosa? I have had a spicy version at a local Indian restaurant that I like very much. I have also had potato in them. Vickie, your photo looks very inviting indeed.

samosa is too spicy .. this one's not.. though u can make it spicy including the "chaat masala", n greem chillie's!

Not a very well explained and articulated recipe.

The most popular pea stuffed recipe is for kachori. That's the only one I know that I would classify as totally "Indian"

If anyone is interested they can google for kachori recipe.

I make mine as follows:

I make a dough using a mixture of wheat, white, semolina and gram flour and good amount of oil. It's almost like a rich pastry dough but without shortening.

I make a filling with peas (you can use frozen ones), spices (cumin, corrainder, fennel, black pepper, green chilies, cilantro, sugar, lime juice). Ensure you cook this down until the peas are a mush and dry.

Let it cool.

Make small discs (1 inch) from the dough, fill with a tiny bit of pea mixture. Fold it inwards, press and lightly flatten into 1 inch discs with your hands. You can make all of these then fry and enjoy with a dipping sauce of your choice.

I like to make a tamarind sauce or a green mint and cilantro sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom