Pelmeni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Was in an NYC market a few weeks ago, and came across a stand selling "Pelmeni". Surprisingly to me, I had never heard of them before.

Are Pelmeni just a Russian version of Pierogi ?

Pelmeni are never served with a sweet filling. They’re also much smaller than pierogi. Wikipedia told me so!

I was in a rush so I didn't really go over and see what they were filled with. From what I understand, its primarily a meat filling, but can be mushrooms and other savory things as well. Its on my list of places to go back to when Im in the area. I love finding new international treasures. Its my way of traveling out of the USA without traveling out of the USA. ( for those who dont know, Im not big on flying so getting off the continent is not something I foresee in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_8829.jpg
    IMG_8829.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 193
Pelmeni are traditional Siberian food and is, of course spread throughout the whole what used to be soviet union. It is said that it's origin is Chinese won tons.
No matter what the origin is it it tremendously popular. It is made with pork, beef, lamb or chicken, or any variations of the above. It is made with a raw meat, unlike pirogi. And as was mentioned no sweet or cheese fillings.
It is usually served with sour cream, vinegar, or I suppose anything you like.

Back
Top Bottom