Perogies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having made a zillion perogies in my married life of 35 yrs. My polish inlaws would host a perogie making party, we all had stations and it was a long day with perogies to eat at the end. We would make them and freeze for when we wanted them. We would make alot of them at a time. She would store them in her freezer and when you wanted some you just stop up and grab a doz. When they ran out another party.
We boil them- drop them into the boiling water and when float take them out and place on a rack to let the water dry off ( thats if you can resist eating one )then single layer them in a bag and freeze. to eat - fry in butter with onions till lightly brown and serve with sour cream.
Here is our dough, they are so tender.
Perogies,
4 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1 stick of butter melted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
Beat eggs, add milk, butter, and sour cream
Add four to mixture gradually till dough is workable
rough out thin and cut circles out to desired size
Place 1-2 tbl filling (depending on size of cut out) on 1/2 of circle
brush (or use your finger) dip into water and lightly wet 1/2 of circle
fold over the other half and pinch dough together.
drop into boiling water and when float remove form boiling water and let drain.( thats if you can resist eating one )
Note: change your water often when water gets cloudy.
I always have 2 pots going one using and the other on stand by and alternate while one is coming to a boil again.

our fillings we use
Potato and cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 sauted onion
salt & pepper to taste

Sauerkraut
saute
1 onion diced
add
1 lg can of sauerkraut
add 1/4 cup sour cream

we also use our kapusta as filling.

We eat these with keilbasa, ham, and kapusta.

Enjoy.

When I make perogies, I make 12 dozen at a time. I use 10 lb potatoes, 2 lb bacon, and 2-3 lb grated cheese, 1 LARGE white spanish onion. I make the filling the day before, shape it (kinda like a little cigar--I have a small scoop that is the perfect size for the size of ring I use to cut the dough) and put it in a large tupperware rectangular pan (layers of waxed paper between) overnight. To make the dough:

750 ml of flour
500 ml of sour cream (need about 5 tubs of sour cream for this)

You process each batch of dough 1 tub of sour cream at a time. This is an all day affair. Put the sour cream and flour in a food processor. Process until a ball forms. Roll out in batches (about 1/3 of the ball) on a large, floured surface. Cut and fill. In a large pot of boiling water, drop 12 perogies at a time. Boil 1 minute. Transfer to a large stainless bowl to which 1 T of butter is added. Toss. Put in ziplock bag--lay on a cookie sheet flat so that when put in the freezer they freeze flat, not stuck together. The butter keeps them from sticking together so you can thaw for about 7 minutes in the microwave (defrost setting) and cook as you wish (panfried, boiled, in the oven).

Last edited:
agree with cws4322 should of put that in there--- make a batch of dough 1 at a time- if you don't you will work the dough to much and it would become tough.
Will have to try your filling CWS sounds good, but anything with bacon is always good
also cook the potatoes and then just mash them - do not mean make mash potatoes. depending on the size of your potatoes -how many to cook to get 2 cups of mashed. per batch - we also refridge overnight the fillings makes it better to seal dough. we use a ice cream/cookie scoop so all are same size about walnut size for the filling and the dough cut out is a approx 4" cut out.

When I make perogies, I make 12 dozen at a time. I use 10 lb potatoes, 2 lb bacon, and 2-3 lb grated cheese, 1 LARGE white spanish onion. I make the filling the day before, shape it (kinda like a little cigar--I have a small scoop that is the perfect size for the size of ring I use to cut the dough) and put it in a large tupperware rectangular pan (layers of waxed paper between) overnight. To make the dough:

750 ml of flour
500 ml of sour cream (need about 5 tubs of sour cream for this)

You process each batch of dough 1 tub of sour cream at a time. This is an all day affair. Put the sour cream and flour in a food processor. Process until a ball forms. Roll out in batches (about 1/3 of the ball) on a large, floured surface. Cut and fill. In a large pot of boiling water, drop 12 perogies at a time. Boil 1 minute. Transfer to a large stainless bowl to which 1 T of butter is added. Toss. Put in ziplock bag--lay on a cookie sheet flat so that when put in the freezer they freeze flat, not stuck together. The butter keeps them from sticking together so you can thaw for about 7 minutes in the microwave (defrost setting) and cook as you wish (panfried, boiled, in the oven).

What kind of grated cheese do you use in the filling ?

I like making a casserole with perogies. I lay some fried onions in a casserole, perogies, thin layer of sour cream, then sauerkraut topped with bacon. Bake this on high until the top gets a bit crispy..It shouldn't take long because everything except the sour cream should be assembled while freshly cooked and still hot...

CWS, I'm confused. Do you mean 750 ml of flour for each 500 ml tub of sour cream? Any idea how much 750 ml of flour weighs?

TL--Yup--I use a 750 ml empty (and clean) yogurt container to measure the flour. I was taught how to make this recipe "hands on" so make it the way I was taught. I think I usually use 2% fat sour cream--the whole fat dough makes perogies that are hard to pan fry. For the butter--take 1 quarter (stick for you lucky folks in the States who get butter in quarters) and cut it into 16 equal portions.

I usually use cheddar cheese (I prefer the white cheddar) and bacon from the butcher. I cook the onions in an electric frying pan to which I have added some of the bacon fat. I put the bacon (after it is cooked) between two pieces of paper towel on a cutting board and roll with a rolling pin to break it up. I make the mashed potatoes as usual, add the onion, bacon, and grated cheese while the potatoes are still warm.

Rock--I too have made a similar casserole dish using perogies. I also have done one with tomato sauce from one of the Best of Bridge cookbooks.

Last edited:
I have all the ingredients for perogies except I am not going to do 12-13 dozen--I don't have the time this weekend. Instead, I am going to do 1//5th of a batch and record everything so I can share (afterall, who has time to mash 10 lb of potatoes and make 12-13 dozen perogies)?

I have all the ingredients for perogies except I am not going to do 12-13 dozen--I don't have the time this weekend. Instead, I am going to do 1//5th of a batch and record everything so I can share (after all, who has time to mash 10 lb of potatoes and make 12-13 dozen perogies)?

You mean you are not a lady of leisure? :angel:

I do not have patience to make a lot. Too busy usually anyways. Make enough for family dinner is as much as I can handle, (leftover dough goes into pasta) unless my mother, she should be alive and well, comes over and she makes me seat and keep making them. Then I can go for a hundred or so, while she makes about 2 hundred at the same time.
But it really is a good time for the reminder; I am planning on making some meat pierohies’ this Sunday. Whoever dug this thread out thank you.

I like making a casserole with perogies. I lay some fried onions in a casserole, perogies, thin layer of sour cream, then sauerkraut topped with bacon. Bake this on high until the top gets a bit crispy..It shouldn't take long because everything except the sour cream should be assembled while freshly cooked and still hot...

You're killin me rock! :w00t:That sounds deeeelectable!!

Trader Joe's carries perogies so I won't be going to the trouble of making them right now because I MUST make your casserole ASAP!!

The perogie casserole I make uses about 1 lb of perogies, 2 large onions, sliced thin, 1 c sliced fresh mushrooms, 2 c of diced tomatoes (I use ones I've frozen, but you could use canned). I thaw the perogies in the microwave for about 10 minutes. I then boil the perogies for about 5 minutes. While the perogies are thawing, I saute the onion and mushroom. I then add 1 c chicken or vegetable stock, parsley, and the tomatoes. Simmer that for about 5 minutes. Dump the perogies into a greased casserole dish, top with the tomato-onion mixture, cover, and bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. Sometimes I add chopped cooked bacon.

Do not have exact measurements. I usually saute some onions till golden brown, add cabbage, coleslaw is a convenient to use, and keep sauteing, when slaw reduced I add a little bit of sour crouwt and keep cooking stirring occasionally until it is brown in color. season to taste, salt, pepper, whatever else you like. when ready put it into a colander and let it drain well, you do not want liquid when making pirogies.

CharlieD, I was thinking of draining some of my homemade sauerkraut and adding some that to the potato filling...my thought was to rinse the 'kraut and wring it out in a clean dish cloth like one does with frozen spinach...the only time I tried sauerkraut filling, it was too wet (now I know why).

Also, has anyone made the dough with whole wheat flour? I usually use AP but am trying to eliminate "white" from my diet. BTW, I freeze the leftover dough and it works fine to make more perogies later. The potato filling, however, does not freeze well.

I'm counting out how many potatoes are in a 10 lb bag...I'm dividing that by 2/5 (I have two tubs of sour cream) so that I make 2/5ths of the batch I normally make with a 10 lb bag of potatoes. I'll let you know how much filling I got out of those potatoes.

Last edited:
Do not have exact measurements. I usually saute some onions till golden brown, add cabbage, coleslaw is a convenient to use, and keep sauteing, when slaw reduced I add a little bit of sour crouwt and keep cooking stirring occasionally until it is brown in color. season to taste, salt, pepper, whatever else you like. when ready put it into a colander and let it drain well, you do not want liquid when making pirogies.
+1 you've seen my recipe--no exact measurements for that, either. Like you probably learned to make perogies from your mom (and we won't even try to explain the technique for wrapping the dough around the filling), I learned how to make perogies under the tutelage of an experienced perogie maker.

CWS, I'm confused. Do you mean 750 ml of flour for each 500 ml tub of sour cream? Any idea how much 750 ml of flour weighs?
I'll weigh the flour tomorrow (or Sunday--I might make the filling tomorrow instead of tonight) when I make the dough. And, just for you, TL, I picked up an extra container of sour cream to try making the dough with wholewheat flour.:chef:I am thinking I might have to add a bit of cream of tartar or baking soda to the flour...

Gosh, now the pressure is on--not only have I committed to making perogies, I have to take pictures and measure / weigh everything! Should this be a "perogie cookoff" challenge? Ha-ha, CharlieD has the advantage. I'm of Scandinavian heritage, trust me, perogies were not part of my culinary experience growing up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom