Perogies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Does anyone have a good recipe for potato perogies? Last (and first) time I tried to make them they were very doughy. I had a heck of a time rolling the dough out and it kept shrinking. My filling was great (potatos, green onions, bacon, cheeses) but that dough gave me one heck of a time!

Thanks!

My perohe dough is as follows.

3 cups of flour
one egg in a measuring cup beaten, fill to the one cup mark with water, then add about 1/4 cup oil

Stir liquid into dry and mix until dough is smooth. Let it sit for at least an hour before you try to work it.

Roll it out to a bit less than 1/4 inch thickness and make your perogies from there. Good luck.

I will. I have some garlic mashed potatoes I need to use up. Maybe tomorrow!

Alix said:
My perohe dough is as follows.

3 cups of flour
one egg in a measuring cup beaten, fill to the one cup mark with water, then add about 1/4 cup oil

Stir liquid into dry and mix until dough is smooth. Let it sit for at least an hour before you try to work it.

Roll it out to a bit less than 1/4 inch thickness and make your perogies from there. Good luck.

this can be the key to make your dough more manageable. I usually cover my dough with a wet cloth when I am making a pasta dough...

I can't remember the name right now but someone from Poland joined DC not long ago... I asked him about pierogie, I hope he will post the authentic recipe soon...

I started making my perogies out of wanton wrappers. EAsier and alot less time. TaAst is a little different but not so much when fries in butter. I make them about 4 times a year. Have to say tho that the best ones are still made from scratch.There are perogie recipes at www.foodnetwork.com and www.allrecipies.com aand I think some here in past poste.Try a search.

Forget the pirogy (why are they called that I don't know, probably Polish), any way make turnovers. Ready made pastry dough, bake, done, mmmmmm

Alix said:
Urmaniac, if it counts, mine is direct from the Ukraine.

Wow... I just did a quick search and yeah, there are also Ukrainian pierogies... I didn't know!! Probably some of the eastern european dishes are kinda mingled and spread around the way many of the mediterranean items do. That was a lesson of the day!!:rolleyes:

CharlieD said:
Alix, 1/4" is very thick, very-very thick for the dough. In Ukraine you'd be fired as a cook. :LOL: :rolleyes:

it could have been a confusion between centimetre and inch when the recipe was translated... that makes more sense ... 1/4 cm (2,5mm), though it seems to be still on a thick side...

urmaniac13 said:
Wow... I just did a quick search and yeah, there are also Ukrainian pierogies... I didn't know!! Probably some of the eastern european dishes are kinda mingled and spread around the way many of the mediterranean items do. That was a lesson of the day!!:rolleyes:

No-no-no, it is Ukrainian pierogies (that are, by the way, called Vareniki) that spread out to miditerranian, otherwise you guys'd be eating tomatoes only, (just joking) :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Oh for goodness sakes...I said LESS than 1/4 inch! I don't measure my dough, I just roll it. LOL. 1/8 is pretty thin and you will need to be pretty careful with your filling if you roll it that thin. Get it CLOSE to that. This is not an exact science by any means.

Also, this dough will spring back when you roll it so expect that to happen. The idea is to roll it out and get the rough shape and then shape it with your hands when you fill it.

I like to cut the dough into squares and then make a sort of pocket in the center and then seal it corner to corner so you have little triangular shaped dumplings.

Charlie, you goofball! I'd be fired for sure since I wouldn't cook that 50 year old beef! LMAO. And my Guido called the potato stuffed ones perohe, not vareniki. He called something else vareniki...the sweet ones I think.

Okay, I went and posted on mine other forum (the russian one) to get the vareniki thing cleared. I tend to think that it has to do more with location, more than anything. If you lived closer to Poland, then you'd call it pirogi, if one is from more eastern part of ukrain, then it is vareniki. BTW I love vareniki with all types of fillings.

Oh, and the thiner the dough the better.

Thanks Charlie, I suspected it would be something like a regional difference.

OK, related question for you. Do you ever eat the dough bits that break off the perohe? And what do you call them?

:) If your dough is springing back when you roll it roll it out some then let it rest a few minutes then continue rolling it should roll out fine then.

I made them and they were WONDERFUL! Thank you Alix for your dough recipe.

I used leftover garlic mashed tators. I added green onions, sour cream, shredded colby jack and crumbled bacon. If I wasn't stuffed, I'd be eating more right now!!

One more question: I have extra dough. Is there anything I can do with it besides toss it?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom