Persian Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
Ok it's not the prettiest looking dish but it was different and tasty and besides I was able to use the bottle of pomegranate molasses I had in the cupboard ....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 278
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I dunno, GQ, looks pretty good to me! Hmm, pomegranate molasses? Never heard of it.

Ok it's not the prettiest looking dish but it was different and tasty and besides I was able to use the bottle of pomegranate molasses I had in the cupboard ....

Ooh! Looks good. Recipe please Gravy Queen! I have a bottle of pomegranate molasses wasting away in my cupboard too! :)

Yes, recipe please! Pomegranate molasses must be a UK thing.

Yes, recipe please! Pomegranate molasses must be a UK thing.

I just had a look at the bottle DL. It's mostly covered in what appears to be Arabic, but there is one line of ingredients in English, which just says "Concentrated pomegranate juice, sugar, citric acid".

Not much more I can tell you about it! Oh, well apart from the fact that it is a thick, syrupy consistency and quite rich and sweet.

Last edited:
I just had a look at the bottle DL. It's mostly covered in what appears to be Arabic, but there is one line of ingredients in English, which just says "Concentrated pomegranate juice, sugar, citric acid".

Not much more I can tell you about it! Oh, well apart from the fact that it is a thick, syrupy consistency and quite rich and sweet.

Thanks Katy! I wonder if we could boil down PomWonder juice and get a reasonable facsimile. While one of the newer touted health foods, pomegranate juice is exhorbitantly expensive here.

Thanks Katy! I wonder if we could boil down PomWonder juice and get a reasonable facsimile. While one of the newer touted health foods, pomegranate juice is exhorbitantly expensive here.

Pomegranates and juice are very expensive here too.

But the molasses aren't too bad considering it is concentrated:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp

That link doesn't look like it is working but if not, here is what the description says: (It is £2.49 (about $4) for a bottle - but that would go a long way and juice is a lot more expensive).

"Premium product

Made in Lebanon

Pomegranate Syrup has a sweet-sour flavour and lush fruit aroma. In Middle Eastern cooking it is traditionally used as an ingredient in sauces, casseroles and marinades for barbequed meat, but in the West we've discovered all sorts of new uses for it! Try Pomegranate Syrup in salad dressings, on ice cream, as a mixer, in cocktails, to flavour tea or as a drink on its own (dilute to taste)."

You can get it here in the states at a middle eastern food specialty shop, if you're lucky enough to have one in your area.

Thanks all, and Katy I will write the recipe up it's from the latest Goood Food mag , I forgot to mention the walnuts durr as it's a walnut and pomegranate stew that what makes it thick , the walnuts are ground finely .

Harry Harry Harry you silver tongued I mean silver haired Casanova .........welcome back !!!

Thanks all, and Katy I will write the recipe up it's from the latest Goood Food mag , I forgot to mention the walnuts durr as it's a walnut and pomegranate stew that what makes it thick , the walnuts are ground finely .

Harry Harry Harry you silver tongued I mean silver haired Casanova .........welcome back !!!
i try your majesticness,i try....as always,on my knees as i type;)!!

Ah, it's the "Rich Chicken and Walnut Stew (Khoreshteh Fesenjan)" on p72! I have to say, your pic looks nicer than the one in the mag! (Obviously no need to type out the recipe on my behalf, but of course if anybody else wants it....)

I'll do this on Sunday I think. (I assume it was pretty tasty? Would you make any changes to the recipe?)

I guess GQ was happy with the recipe so my chicken thighs are defrosting as we speak. :)

Ollie is happy - he apparently knows that Pomegranates are a "super food":LOL: (Plus he loves chicken!) ;)

(Personally, I was less than happy to pay £1.50 ($2.43) for a single Pomegranate!)

Unfortunately, neither Ollie nor I liked this! I won't be making it again.

Ah well, you can't win them all! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom