Pierogi questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been reading the pierogi threads and doing a little Googling and can't seem to come across just how many pierogies one gets from the typical recipe that calls for 3c of flour. On All Recipes I see a recipe that says makes 12 servings. That doesn't mean one pierogi apiece for 12 people, does it? Or does it? :huh:
And after you cut the circles, do you knead the leftover dough back together and use it up?
I suppose I could do a youtube search, I'm pretty sure they probably have several start to finish vids on making pierogies, but I thought I'd ask here first.

There is probably some variation in number due to how thin you roll the dough. I would definitely reform and re-roll the holy dough to use it all up.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter how many you get as long as the number is divisible by 12.

...but I realize you need to know.

I just didn't want to start out and find I'm making 48 pierogies. My lack of "dough knowledge" has me dumbfounded on approximately how many 3" (or so) circles I should expect to get. I'll halve the recipe if I think I'm making too many, but 12 isn't too many... see what I'm saying? I didn't see what they considered a serving of pierogies to be, one, two, three...
And I wasn't sure if kneading the leftover dough again would make it too tough from over-kneading.

In a situation like this, I'd reduce the recipe by half. Not sure how thin the dough should be but that
will be the biggest variable.

Thanks. That's a good starting point.
I want to make it worth my while to make them, but I don't want an over abundance of pierogies either.

what do you use for the filling, pac? it's almost impossible to "overwork" your dough. it will be a bit stiffer, is all.

I don't know yet. I've never made them before :LOL:
And I've only ever eaten them once, about 30 years ago.
So this should be pretty interesting.

I was having a problem with my french bread loaves before and it seems that I was overworking the dough when shaping the loaf. I thought I might have the same problem here, but maybe not because the dough is being rolled anyway.
I like to have an answer for anything I might encounter when I actually go to make these.

pacanis, do NOT half the recipe. Make the full recipe and just freeze the extra. Make sure you let the dough rest before you try rolling it out. Its pretty springy and your dough will be too thick if you don't let it rest.

When you do 3c of flour you also need to take into account the size of the individual perogies so its tough to account for how many each person makes. Some people make HUGE perogies and some people make them quite a bit smaller. I make smaller ones because when they plump up they get big and are too filling.

You can choose how many you want to cook, and then put the rest on a cookie sheet and freeze them raw. Then you have some for the next craving.

pac, here's my pitch for bacon-ham filled pirogies: you are a bacon lover, no argument there, right? the bacon fat (and the onions) will leach into the bread part of your pirogi as they bake in the oven--and, oh...my...god! just saute chopped onion together with diced bacon about halfway. add some lean ham or spam, also diced, heavily pepper the whole thing, and there's your bacon/ham pirogi filling. this mixture is delicious, pac. if you don't want to use it for your pirogies then at least try making a small batch for omelets and western egg sandwiches. you'll thank me later. :)

pacanis, do NOT half the recipe. Make the full recipe and just freeze the extra. Make sure you let the dough rest before you try rolling it out. Its pretty springy and your dough will be too thick if you don't let it rest.

When you do 3c of flour you also need to take into account the size of the individual perogies so its tough to account for how many each person makes. Some people make HUGE perogies and some people make them quite a bit smaller. I make smaller ones because when they plump up they get big and are too filling.

You can choose how many you want to cook, and then put the rest on a cookie sheet and freeze them raw. Then you have some for the next craving.

Approximately how many do you get making smaller ones?

pac, here's my pitch for bacon-ham filled pirogies: you are a bacon lover, no argument there, right? the bacon fat (and the onions) will leach into the bread part of your pirogi as they bake in the oven--and, oh...my...god! just saute chopped onion together with diced bacon about halfway. add some lean ham or spam, also diced, heavily pepper the whole thing, and there's your bacon/ham pirogi filling. this mixture is delicious, pac. if you don't want to use it for your pirogies then at least try making a small batch for omelets and western egg sandwiches. you'll thank me later. :)

You bake your pierogi? I didn't come across that method. I was going to boil them, then fry in butter and onions to give them some color... I think.
And yes I have bacon and I have ham. I will make some up. Thanks.

I made 2 cups the other day it was way too much dough. Originally I was afraid I had too much filling, but I end up with extra dough. I did reuse it for something else latter. But I'll teel right away 3 cups is a lot. I would recomend to use only one cup and make few to see how you like the dough recipe, the size you want to make them. Then you also will not need too much filling. ANd the most important, since you said you are not comfortable with dough, this will kind of es you in.
I bet different people call things different. We had a whole thread about the pirogy/vareniki/ whatever.

And if dough is not hndle proparly it will get overworked and they will be very rubbery and chew. Where in fact you want them pretty soft.
By the way what recipe are you using?

Last edited:
Another reason to make a reduced recipe is that you don't like the result. That way you aren't in a position to toss or eat the food you don't like.

...By the way what recipe are you using?

I'm not sure yet.
I've got a few printed out, but not with me at the moment to post. I was kind of leaning towards one I found on the internet (as opposed to here) that had sour cream in the dough. And I'm pretty sure I'll choose one that uses eggs in it regardless. I'm still in the research phase.

Another reason to make a reduced recipe is that you don't like the result. That way you aren't in a position to toss or eat the food you don't like.

Good point.
But I know they are going to come out :D

:LOL:

(I hope)

Why egs? There recipes that are just as good without. My dough is so easy to deal with
i even let all my kids work witht hat and even though they manage to make them crooked and all, but they stay closed and cook well.

Last edited:
Why eggs? Why not?
There are a lot of recipes out there, some using eggs and some not. I've got to choose one to start with.
There was a thread here a while back about someone not wanting to use eggs and most of the suggestions were to use a substitute, as opposed to omitting altogether. I figured I would use the one with eggs first. Just because.

Why eggs? Why not?
There are a lot of recipes out there, some using eggs and some not. I've got to choose one to start with.
There was a thread here a while back about someone not wanting to use eggs and most of the suggestions were to use a substitute, as opposed to omitting altogether. I figured I would use the one with eggs first. Just because.

Man you are really thorough!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom