Pineapple juice as sweetening agent in chinese cooking ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im at my computer eating a " sesame chicken-like" dish as Im typing here ( vegetarian version). Ive had this dish dozens of times, and was always wondering how they made this sauce ( sweet, a little salty, definitely sesame seeds, bright red ...) But as im tasting it, i can almost sense a pineapple like flavor.

Its not a sweet and sour sauce. Ive had that before and that has the obvious pineapple there. In this sauce , there is no visible pineapple, just the taste.

Anyway, I guess what im asking is, has anyone used pineapple juice when making an asian sauce , or does anyone have a recipe similar to what im talking about ?

larry

i've found malaysian cooking often uses pineapple or mango as a sweet ingredient. pineapple fried rice, and mango chicken (sort of a sweet and sour chicken) are two of my faves.

malaysian food is a mix of chinese, thai, and indian flavours, so you might be able to find recipes searching along those lines, larry.

In my experience with sweet n sour it's not the sauce itself that gives that obvious pineapple flavor, it's the pineapple chunks... Try this:

2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/3 pineapple juice
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 TBS soy sauce
1 clove crushed garlic
1 TBS veg oil

Mix first 5 ingredients together... Heat oil in a pan, brown garlic, discard... Add your mixture to pan and bring to a boil...

Mix 2 TBS cornstarch, and 1/3 cup of water, and add to sauce, stirring constantly until thickened...

Hope this helps, let me know... :):):)

Not sure about your food, but I have used pineple sauce in making sweet and sour sauce quite few times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom