Pistou

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grandmom Margot´s Soupe au Pistou Broth

:yum: This vegetable stock, turned into a thick luscious vegetable soup, hails from the French province of Provençe.

Since, Grandmom Margot, my maternal Grandmom died just before I was born in 1962, my Mom, followed in her footsteps and prepared this dish.

As promised, here is the family Recipe ...

grandmom Margot´s Soupe au Pistou vegetable broth

3 quarts of salted water

300 grams = 2 cups White northern navy small type beans ( soak overnight in salted water in stockpot )

2 bay leaves
2 zucchini diced
2 carrots diced
6 garlic cloves minced
4 leeks chopped finely
300 grams = 3/4 pounds very ripe red tomatoes seeded, peeled and chopped finely
1 turnip chopped finely
1 Head of Chard or Curly Cabbage cut into wedges of 4 quarters
Provençal Herbs: basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme and parsley chopped extra finely
sea salt - 1 tablespoon
1 bunch or 1/4 pound French style thin green string beans
Vermicelli Or Orzo ( optional )

1. soak beans overnight
2. wash, chop or dice or mince all the vegetables to prepare the stock and cook on slow flame simmer no less than 2 hours
3. rinse beans and place in a different pot filled with boiling salted water
4. cook beans 1 hour until tender
5. strain the beans and add to the vegetable stock
6. simmer the stock and it shall begin to thicken

*** serve with crusty whole meal bread and a scoop of the Pistou in the reply thread above this one ...

Ciao. Have nice evening. :yum:
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buonasera Laurie,

Thanks for your assistance ... Yes, I do subscribe to Bon Appetit and Food & Wine Online Magazines however, I had no problems whatsoever opening the websites I recommended. I looked at several Pistou and Soupe au Pistou recipes yesterday. Most just vary with the vegetables used.

I posted my Grandmom Margot´s recipes. Hope that you and Alix like them.

David Lebovitz is a personal friend of a Chef I know and I like his French Recipes and when in Paris we always go to his Restaurants as his recipes are traditional and quite innovative as well and his Pistou is very similar to my Mom´s and Maternal Grandmom´s as well as his soupe. Just a variation on the veggies.

My mom put orzo or vermicello in her´s for dad, as he was Italian.

Kindest.
Margaux.

Margi, thanks for the recipes! They look lovely. I've c&p for a cooler day.

What Laurie is trying to explain is that because you subscribe and we don't, you will be able to open a link with no trouble and we will not be able to do so. Usually you will be able to open any link you post, but others may not be able to access the same info unless they too subscribe to the site. Make sense?

One quick question, does the size of pasta matter? I typically have acini de pepe in the cupboard for italian wedding soup. Can I use that instead of orzo?

Alix: Small Optional Pasta For The Soupe Au Pistou

;) I believe almost all small pasta shapes would work lovely ...

Thanks for the explaining the linking end of things to me ... Appreciate.

I had been unaware of non subscribers not being able to obtain information, verses subscribers.

Thanks and enjoy the recipes. It is quite a thick hearty and warming vegetable soup ... and the Pistou provides a lovely presentation.

Italian Bread Soup is a similar rural Pastoral recipe except, without short pasta. It is prepared with the end of a Reggiano Parmesano or Pecorino cheese rind to make the broth. My paternal Grandmom Margherite floated tortellini on the top ... Nice too ...

I believe I once posted it in Ethnic or Soup Section.

If you like Pesto al Genovese di Liguria with trenette, or fettuccini, I make a wicked Pesto and it is posted in the Pasta Section.

We learn something new everyday.

Ciao.
Have a great wkend.
Margaux.

Last edited:
''I think to turn it into the soup all they need is stock.''

I think, what is usually done, is a spoonful of it is added to soup. You keep it in the fridge, and then just take it out when you make soup to add a spoonful. It is a bit like sauce, but for soup.

Or, to make a nice presentation, you could do something like putting a portion of the pistou in a small dish for each person, or leave a bigger dish of it on the table, and people can add it to their soup themselves. :)

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom