Posole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't had this in years. What a great idea! Updating grocery list....

I found an authentic looking recipe here with several serving suggestions.

I get the corn from the same place CWS linked to, Purcell Mountain Farms.

The lime can be bought in pretty much any Mexican food market. A lot of regular food markets may have it, too, but I haven't looked.
Is the lime the same as pickling lime? The blue that I bought said treated.

The "lime" is calcium hydroxide. I bought pickling lime when I was in MN a couple of years ago...so if the corn were not treated, I could use this. Slake lime is also calcium hydroxide.

The "lime" is calcium hydroxide. I bought pickling lime when I was in MN a couple of years ago...so if the corn were not treated, I could use this. Slake lime is also calcium hydroxide.

If it's already been treated, just soak and cook.

I used pork stock and beer, added tomatillo sauce (homemade), pork cubes, shredded pork, some tomatoes, oregano, epazote, garlic, onions, hot chili (dried-chopped--don't know which kind they were--from the garden), cilantro, lime juice, the blue hominy. It is quite good. I let it simmer for about 3-4 hours. The blue hominy doesn't get mushy.

When it was cooking, the house smelled like corn chips! Still does. My dearly departed dog, Missy, smelled like corn chips when I first picked her up off the road (she was a Rhodesian RidgebackX). I have a very sensitive sense of smell--when I curl, there is a "perfume" smell...finally figured out that was part of the solution used when the guy sprays the ice. I now know why I cough at home after curling. I thought it was someone's perfume, but one of the guys mentioned it this week--it is not just me!

Last edited:
I still have some of the corn left. I will definitely make this again, and, while in San Antonio, I will be hunting for more. Although, I must say, that Purcell Farms (the link I posted where I got the blue hominy), was very good re: shipping. I also ordered wild rice flour, French green lentils, and some mushrooms. If I recall correctly, the shipping was free to an address in the States and the order arrived in about 4 days.

I have used dried hominy and canned hominy--I love hominy. Posole is great, but hominy is also good in vegetable soup. When I do pork chops on the stovetop, I warm up a can of hominy in the pan drippings, adding lots of black pepper.

I can't buy hominy here, so my only option is the dry...I'd have to plan ahead or soak it, cook it, and then freeze it. But, that sounds like a great way to eat it sparrowgrass.

I can't buy hominy here, so my only option is the dry...I'd have to plan ahead or soak it, cook it, and then freeze it. But, that sounds like a great way to eat it sparrowgrass.

Need me to get you a case of canned? Just rinse and use.:yum::yum::yum:

:LOL: I was going to make hominy out of corn--I bought a sack of feed corn, sorted out a gallon of whole kernels, and started the recipe. I was supposed to soak the corn in a lime mix--when I poured the water on, all these bugs floated up! :ermm:

Kinda took my appetite away. But the chickens enjoyed the corn.

:LOL: I was going to make hominy out of corn--I bought a sack of feed corn, sorted out a gallon of whole kernels, and started the recipe. I was supposed to soak the corn in a lime mix--when I poured the water on, all these bugs floated up! :ermm:

Kinda took my appetite away. But the chickens enjoyed the corn.

When I was a child, we had lots of chickens. My Dad put the water trough at one end of the coop and mounted a bug zapper over it. When the zapper zapped a bug, the bug would fall into the water trough. The chickens figured it out and when that zapper started popping in the evening, the chickens would stampede for the water trough to eat bugs.

Chickens are bug eating machines!

When I was a child, we had lots of chickens. My Dad put the water trough at one end of the coop and mounted a bug zapper over it. When the zapper zapped a bug, the bug would fall into the water trough. The chickens figured it out and when that zapper started popping in the evening, the chickens would stampede for the water trough to eat bugs.

Chickens are bug eating machines!

At one time in my life, we had about 20 cornish cross hens, and a couple of roosters. While gathering eggs one day, I saw a large mouse start to scurry through the hen house. Those hens saw it to. You've heard about a shark or pirahna feeding frenay? Well it ain't nothin' compared to a bunch of hens in an enclosure with a mouse. I don't think a weasle would have stood a chance in there. That mouse was eaten to the bone so fast. It only took seconds. I'm glad we're much larger than they are.:ohmy: Chickens are eating machines!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

At one time in my life, we had about 20 cornish cross hens, and a couple of roosters. While gathering eggs one day, I saw a large mouse start to scurry through the hen house. Those hens saw it to. You've heard about a shark or pirahna feeding frenay? Well it ain't nothin' compared to a bunch of hens in an enclosure with a mouse. I don't think a weasle would have stood a chance in there. That mouse was eaten to the bone so fast. It only took seconds. I'm glad we're much larger than they are.:ohmy: Chickens are eating machines!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
When the hens catch a mouse, I call the "game" they play getting it away from each other "mouseball." Supposedly they do the same with snakes...I haven't seen them catch/eat a snake--yet.

The DH (not sure if he wants to be an ex--god) came out yesterday. For lunch, I served the Pozole, which he has never had. He thought I used black beans and turkey--wrong! He did eat 3 bowls and took some home. So I guess he liked it. I liked the texture of the corn (al dente) and the flavor it added. I guess this is a "not chili" sort of dish. He also commented it was "hot enough" (I don't like things as "hot" as he does). Personally, I'm enjoying the leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom