Poutine. The Chief's Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Living on the Canadian border, in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, just across the river from Sault Ste. Marie, ONT, I've had the opportunity to meet and make friends with a number of people who spell things funny, and call a car trunk a boot. I'e fished with them shared my best recipes with them, served them my own smoked turkeys, and pancakes, among other things, and spent a good number of New Hear's Eve celebrations with them. We are more similar than different in spite of the border. The only real difference is that most of my Canadian friends end thier sentences with "Eh?", and I don't.

Many of my North-of-the-border friends put malt vinegar on their french fries (chips). While I prefer Ketchup. I've had the malty vinegar with fries before and it's not bad. One thing I did have that is uniquely Canadian, and that I didn't care too much for was Poutine. The version that I had was made at a [pl\\[lace that made great burgers, and sandwiches. But the Poutine was terrible.

Ok, so what is Poutine? zpoutine is a dish comprised of perfect french fries, topped with cheese curds, and then topped with a rich beef, or vegetable brown gravy. Done well, it is very tasty. Done wrong, it can be a gooey , unappetizing mess,

Here's the classic Poutine:

Ingredients:
Russet potatoes, washed and cut into french fries
2 cups water
1 onion
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 carrot, washed, peeled, sliced
1 tbs, fresh parsley
Cooking oil
1 cup cheese curds (squeaky and fresh)

Place the uncooked french fries into a bowl and cover with cold water. Jostle them around to remove the potato starch. drain and repeat this until the water is clear after moving the spuds around. drain and dry the fries. Putt the fries into boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and dry them again. Let them sit for ten minutes.

While the par-boiled fries are cooling, hot oil. Add two cups of beef stock/broth. let simmer. Placed 3 tbs.butter into a frying pan.over medium heat. When the butter begins to bubble, add 3 tbws. AP four and stir to make a roux. Cook the roux until it turns blonde. Brown the veggies in Add the veggie/beef stock, a little at a time to the roux, stirring to incorporate it, until a gravy is formed. Frynthe fries until golden brown. Remove from the hot oil and drain. Lightly salt them. Sprinl;e cheese curds all ov er the top and tghen ladle the gravy on top[ of all of it. Enjoy.

cnief's version:
I love a good corned beef with potatoes. I also love a good Reuben on Jewishn Rye, with Carraway Seeds. So, I thought I'd mary the two together in a modified poutine.

Make the fies as you did above. Nut instead of using cheese curds, make cubes of strong Swiss cheese to top the fies. Made the gravy from the corned beef juices that you save from cooking the corned beef in your slow cooker, by using it to thin the roux into gravy. Add a bit of carraway seeds to the gravy. Assemble the Poutine. It tastes great. If you want, you can shred some of the corned beef, and top te fries with tit before putting the cheese on. Fusion foods, ya gotta love 'em.

Oh, Kgirl, you think you could adapt Poutine to use spam? And what about making it with duck as the flavor, cooking the fries in duck fat, and using the duck broth to flavor the gravy? I bet that would be tasty too.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's not really poutine if it isn't cheese curds. Poutine was invented in small town Quebec. And yes, in Montreal, It is possible to get duck poutine. At least one place serves it with duck foie gras.

And I completely approve of your basic poutine recipe.

I absolutely adore poutine [emoji813] What's not to like?

I had it for the first time at a beer garden in Austin, TX, made the traditional way. So delicious :yum:

The next time, it was billed as Southern Poutine, with delicious salty fries, southern pork barbecue and cheddar cheese curds, at the Barrel Room in Kinston, NC. We were on our first pilgrimage to Chef and the Farmer, famous from a PBS documentary about a chef and her family in Kinston.

Mmmm, love poutine.

the bad poutine I had was made from fries, shredded mozarella cheese, and canned grfavy. Thjis deli had very good food usually. This poutine, hnowever, was a flavorless, sloppy mess, with the cheese melted into the gravy. It looked and tasted lousy.

I agree though that poutine made properly is a great thing.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

the best part of 'poutine' is the gravy and the cheese curds, of course good french fries are important but considering they are being 'drowned' you can sneak past the 'perfect' requirement.

as taxy says - it is a Quebec specialty/invention and so without the proper ingredients it is just (at best) a second grade copy... heh heh heh :angel:

(please, no offence Chief, haven't tasted yours! LOL)

My very first poutine when I moved to Quebec was with the gravy melting the curds - not completely but just enuf to make them stringy, gooey, yummy and a totally slurpy, messy chin delicious.

I will say that lately the curds are not melting enuf for me to be completely happy. That being said - due to dietary conscience, I have not had any in quite some time. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom