Question about Lasagna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer fresh home made pasta in my lasagna, it becomes so delicate and lovely.

I guess we'll agree to disagree...I find the fresh pasta absorbs the sauce better thus taking on the flavor..whereas boxed pasta can be a bit slippery and the whole thing tends to separate more...then there is the texture..
Like Andy I use Barilla ready for oven pasta, whatever the actual name. I find that past is really good for lasagna, not slippery, absorbs sauce nicely. Works great.

It was meatless lasagna. Which is fine. I actually do not like lasagna with meat, just like i do not like meatballs. Both give terrible hear burn. Meat tomato sauce combination. That's besides the point. I do like meatless lasagnas. But celery. To me it seems like a cheap substitute for some normal filler.

Typically, tomato based sauces, and meat mixtures cause heartburn when oregano is used in the recipe. Oregano is part of the moe basil, or marjorum to mint family and has the property of a muscle relaxer. As such, recipe that use lots of oregano, relax the sphincter muscle that separates the esophagus and stomach, allowing stomach acids to enter the esophagus, causing acid reflux (one form of heartburn). Replace the oregano with more basil, or marjoram.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Also, because the lasagna noodles have such a pronounced flavor, along with the cottage an mozzarella cheese that I add to my lasagna, I over-spice the sauce. The strong herb and spice flavors then hold up to the other flavors and make an exceptionally tasty lasagna. The herbs and spices I like to use include Oregano, Sweet basil (primary herb flavor), thyme, rosemary, marjoram, granulated garlic, and granulated onion (DW abohors cooked onion, though I love it). I make the sauce a little soupy, not as thick as for other pasta dishes, so that the noodles absorb the excess liquid and are flavored by the sauce. The meat is simply browned ground beef, and sometimes I'll add spinach leaves between the layers.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Any tomato products including tomatoes give me heart burn. Though I have used tomato sauce in my lasagna in the past I much prefer Bachamel sauce.

Also, because the lasagna noodles have such a pronounced flavor, along with the cottage an mozzarella cheese that I add to my lasagna, I over-spice the sauce.
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I'm sorry, did you say you put cottage cheese in your lasagna? :wacko: That is so much worse than celery. I'd welcome a pound of celery in my lasagna before I'd eat it with cottage cheese. THAT is an abomination.

I'm sorry, did you say you put cottage cheese in your lasagna? :wacko: That is so much worse than celery. I'd welcome a pound of celery in my lasagna before I'd eat it with cottage cheese. THAT is an abomination.

An abomination? Why is that? Cottage cheese is very common for those of us who don't like ricotta. I use my stick blender to make it smooth, and you'd never know the difference.

An abomination? Why is that? Cottage cheese is very common for those of us who don't like ricotta. I use my stick blender to make it smooth, and you'd never know the difference.

Could not have agreed more. Plus. Unless you are in Italy and can get real Ricotta the difference using American Cottage cheese versus American Ricotta after it was cooked is barely noticeable.

How do you make your lasagna? Do you have a recipe?

Could not have agreed more. Plus. Unless you are in Italy and can get real Ricotta the difference using American Cottage cheese versus American Ricotta after it was cooked is barely noticeable.
I could not disagree more. They are not interchangeable. Not in taste or consistency. I have tried lasagna made with cottage cheese. I did not know it was made with cottage cheese until I put it in my mouth, at which point, it was VERY obvious what it was made with, (though if I'd been paying more attention to what was on my plate I would have noticed it looked off). It was awful. Downright inedible. The fact that anyone would substitute one for the other boggles my mind, and makes me cringe inside.
How do you make your lasagna? Do you have a recipe?
With ricotta. And no, I don't have a recipe. I used to help my Italian aunt make it as a kid, so I've never needed to use a written recipe. It's one of those things I just know how to make. She'd roll over in her grave if she ever saw a lasagna made with cottage cheese.
I agree that some store bought ricotta is chalky and bland. I don't buy those brands. I completely disagree with them that cottage cheese is a better, tastier alternative. I'd rather not eat lasagna than lasagna with cottage cheese. Good ricotta is available, and even bad ricotta is better than cottage cheese. ATK doesn't get everything right; I have disagreed with them before. This is one they have very, very wrong.

I make a bolognese style lasagna with no ricotta or cottage cheese. I'm not a fan of either cheese.

I could not disagree more. They are not interchangeable. Not in taste or consistency. I have tried lasagna made with cottage cheese. I did not know it was made with cottage cheese until I put it in my mouth, at which point, it was VERY obvious what it was made with, (though if I'd been paying more attention to what was on my plate I would have noticed it looked off). It was awful. Downright inedible. The fact that anyone would substitute one for the other boggles my mind, and makes me cringe inside...
Wow, so much anger. :ohmy: It's OK if you prefer ricotta, and others prefer cottage cheese. Unless one of of the pro-cottage cheese people invites you to their house to serve you that "vile" lasagna, don't worry about it! Let it go! Agree to disagree. Your blood pressure will thank you. ;)

For the record, I use ricotta. But if you end up at my supper table, I'm avoiding all arguments and making spaghetti. :LOL:

I like good cottage cheese in my lasagna. I don't find that those tiny, expensive tubs of ricotta make it better. I also prefer homemade, whole wheat lasagna noodles. They don't need to be cooked before the lasagna is assembled and they can be the width of the pasta machine.

I was very put off when I was served lasagna made with cottage cheese.

Cottage cheese and ricotta are very different in taste, in particular.

Back
Top Bottom