Question About Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
National brands typically have three levels of heat - mild, medium and hot. The mild has no heat, the medium has barely detectable heat and the hot has a little heat.

Katie, you may want to start with the mild and add heat at home to your taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Katie, have you ever made salsa? It is so good..It's not hard and you can taste as you go for heat o how mild you want it.
kades

Yes, cj, I've made it plenty of times, but it hardly seem worth the effort just for one.
That's true. There are some good brand here, but I hardly ever buy jarred..I do like the fresh in the veggie dept. I get that and add avocado to it..Yum
cj

I like the salsas from Frontera Grille and also the Trader Joes salsa. I really like the corn and black bean combinations.

Katie, I'm the same way with heat so I tend to buy the mild. It is usually hot enough for me! I would definitely go with Andy's suggestion to get the mild and then add to it if you find you want more heat. I like the Pace brand and go for the picante sauce since it is chunkier than the salsa. I will make what we call oklahoma caviar which is a salsa type dip when I want something fresher.

The only problem (well not really a problems, more like an issue) with adding heat after the fact is that unless you are adding pure capsaisan then you will be possibly be changing the flavor of the salsa. Sometimes that is a good thing and other times it might not be.

Katie, I'm the same way with heat so I tend to buy the mild. It is usually hot enough for me! I would definitely go with Andy's suggestion to get the mild and then add to it if you find you want more heat. I like the Pace brand and go for the picante sauce since it is chunkier than the salsa. I will make what we call oklahoma caviar which is a salsa type dip when I want something fresher.

I like the chunkier type, too. I check out Pace next time. Thanks for the recommendation.

Katie, you may want to start with the mild and add heat at home to your taste.

Thats exactly what I do. I add a lot of hot sauce. But I like to have the mild or medium on hand if guests with a tender palate arrive.

But I almost always make my own, even with in the canned tomatoes in the winter. I have frozen leftovers but didn't really like how it thawed. Would be good for cooking but not dipping.

Last edited:
You might try spiking the heat up by adding chopped
pickled Jalepeno which is sold in jars everywhere.

I try to make my own too - cheaper and better than
store bought and simple to make.

Katie, Mild usually means little or no heat, Medium is a little heat somewhere between their Mild and Hot versions, and Hot is a lot more heat than the medium.

Of course - how hot is "hot" depends on the brand.

When it comes to "jarred" stuff - I'm another big fan of Pace Picante Sauce. It's good in cooking and *GASP* you can cube up some Velveeta Cheese and add some Pace - nuke till the cheese melts and stir ... great dip!

Last edited:
Heat in foods is so subjective! And if you've ever grown your own peppers, you know that even on the same plant you can get a mild pepper and one that'll take the top off your head. So just find a brand you like and stick to it. I like Mrs Renfrews salsas, enjoying both some of her milder ones, but also some that make steam come out of my ears!

Also keep in mind that different brands have different definitions of what constitutes "mild", "medium", & "hot".

We're "Pace" fans as well, & compared to many other mainstream brands, their "medium" is "hot", & their "hot" is "extra hot". The only way to find out what you personally like best is to start picking up different brands & trying them. Even if you don't end up liking them for dipping, they can still be incorporated into recipes.

Back
Top Bottom