Question for Italian cooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

casserolequeen

Assistant Cook
I am looking for an old italian recipe for making Sompanellis, I am probably spelling it wrong. Anyway what these are are flat crepe-like things made with double crepe irons. After these are made you brush them with butter and garlic and fold them up like a taco, then fold again. I need the batter recipe. If anyone can help I would deeply appreciate it!

casserolequeen said:
I am looking for an old italian recipe for making Sompanellis, I am probably spelling it wrong. Anyway what these are are flat crepe-like things made with double crepe irons. After these are made you brush them with butter and garlic and fold them up like a taco, then fold again. I need the batter recipe. If anyone can help I would deeply appreciate it!

I know how to make crepes for canneloni, but I've never heard of these. Could be it's the same recipe perhaps, but with the added butter and garlic? Maybe one of our residents in Italy can shed some light on this.

casserolequeen said:
Cass,
wish I could help you, but, I've no clue as to just what you need here. I do know that, as with many cultures, Italians have different dialects, so to do they change things when they come to America..I can remember when I first saw the word Foccacia, I had no idea what they were talking about on this food board. One of the posters then began to describe Foccacia,, well low and behold, it was fugazzi,(as pronounced by all the Italian people I knew then.) My in-laws and their parents tended to Americanize certain words so that if you were to repeat them in Italy you'd get a look of WHAT??? from the person you were talking to..That might be the reason this recipe you're seeking is eluding you and us..
kadesma

I was wondering if you were ever able to find the recipe for Sompanelli? I also grew up with it but didnt get the recipe from my husbands relatives who had it. I do have people that I may be able to get it from but it would take some doing. If you have received it already could you please pass it on to me? If not, I will do some contacting to try to find the people who probably still have it. Unfortunately we did not get the recipes from the family members who brought it to the States before they were gone. I am also looking for a recipe for something called Casanti (spelling) also. I would have spelled Sompanelli the same as you did but nothing i try comes close onlline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.
Sompanelli is a very liquified bread batter. It is cooked on the stovetop between 2 round flat "irons" until crisp. When done it is spread with a mixture of garlic, rosemary, salt pork, butter etc... and has grated asiago cheese sprinkled over it. it is folded in half and then half again.
The Casanti is the same thing only the bread is a normal dough. A dough ball is placed between the irons. When done it looks kind of like a small pancake. It is cooked till light brown, cut open and spread with the same filling and again sprinkled with asiago cheese. They both go great with homemade ravioli in chicken broth sprinkled with grated asiago cheese.

Casanti

:chef: I have done more research and found that the bread that we call Casanti is referred to as Crescentine in Modena. The "irons" that we cook them on are called "cotte" but the Crescentine were originally made in clay disks called Tigelle. The bread dough was put into the Tigelle, the lid was put on and the whole thing was put into the fire to bake. It was then opened up, the bread cut in half, then spread with the garlic, salt pork, rosemary mixture and sprinkled with the grated cheese. We use asiago, most seem to use parmesan. They are so delicious! I am still looking to find another set of the irons (cotte) but am thinking that they will probably need to be custom made.
Some regions in Italy know Crescentine as a fried bread dough that puffs up and is then filled with meats and cheeses OR the same filling that we put in the Casanti. We call this fried bread dough Pasta Fritta or Pasta Fritte. Equally delicious!

Nope Casanti is not the same recipe as Canolli. It is a normal bread dough, flattened and cooked somewhat crisp,, spread with ground salt pork, garlic and rosemary mix, then filled with cheese like asiago or parmesan . They arent swee like cannoli.
Another name for the Pasta Fritte is Frittelle.

Last edited:
I went to my favorite Italian cookbook by Marcella Hazan and could not find anything like the one you asked about. Sorry.

This thread is 10 years old, brought back to life by a new member in 2011 and another new member yesterday. The OP is long gone.

Last edited:
Yea, GG... I saw those dates but was interested to see what it was about. Very interesting link I posted before.

No problem if you want to look it up for yourself. I just wanted to let people know so they don't spend time trying to help someone who is no longer here, like lyndalou did.

Still is an interesting idea. I'd like to see a recipe for it.

It kind of sounds like a Cornish Pasty, which I've been trying hard to work out a good recipe for.

I know I'm another person keeping a zombie thread alive.

This thread is 10 years old, brought back to life by a new member in 2011 and another new member yesterday. The OP is long gone.

It's even funnier that it was brought back to life by the same person who posted last in 20011. He/she has only 4 posts and returned to the last thread posted.

Still waiting for an answer, I guess...
skeleton-using-a-computer-aahfn9.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom