Ramen-type dish from scratch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I'm not sure if ramen is the right word for what I'm looking for. "Ramen" seems to invoke ideas of the dried noodle variety with a packet of meat flavoring.

I'm actually looking for something authentic with fresh noodles, good broth, veggies, meat chunks, etc. I don't even know what to properly call a noodle dish like this though. anyone have a recipe?

Besides those mentioned by 4meandthem (Ramen, Pho and Udon [which I had for lunch just two days ago :)]), I like Wor Wonton Soup the best of all of them. It doesn't use noodles per se, but it does have dumplings made from the same dough as noodles.

Wor Wonton Soup Recipe

Ingredients:

• Fillings:
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1/4 pound medium raw shrimp, shelled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
  • 3 tablespooons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice
  • 2 teaspoons minced ginger
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
  • 24 wonton wrappers

• 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup bok choy, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 ounces snow peas, trimmed
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 cup Chinese Barbecued Pork or Virginia ham, thinly sliced
  • 5 dried black mushrooms

Directions:

1. Soak mushrooms in warm water for about 20 minutes; drain. Discard stems.
2. Combine filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Make each wonton:
Place 1 heaping teaspoon filling in center of a wonton wrapper; keep remaining wrappers covered to prevent drying. Brush edges of wrapper with water and fold wrapper in half to form a triangle. Pinch edges to seal. Pull two opposite corners together, moisten one corner with water, and overlap with another corner; press to seal. Cover filled wontons with a dry towel to prevent drying.

Cooking:
1. Place broth in a large pot: bring to a boil. Add mushrooms and bok choy and cook for 2 minutes. Add wontons and cook for 3 more minutes. Add snow peas and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in sesame oil and pepper.
2. Ladle wontons, vegetables, and broth into soup bowls. Garnish each serving with slices of barbecued pork and green onion.

Makes 6 servings.

Wor in Chinese means a large stockpot. This is one soup that is truly a meal in itself.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if ramen is the right word for what I'm looking for. "Ramen" seems to invoke ideas of the dried noodle variety with a packet of meat flavoring.

I'm actually looking for something authentic with fresh noodles, good broth, veggies, meat chunks, etc. I don't even know what to properly call a noodle dish like this though. anyone have a recipe?

The pack of noodles that you talk about are new. The noodles are fried to give them a long self life. The real Ramen uses fresh or dried noodles and are really good. They really are just broth some basic seasoning and noodles. If you buy noodles spend a little extra for the good ones. It does make a difference.

If you have the time you could make Tonkotsu broth, its a pork broth. Best served with some sliced Nibuta pork on top. Tonkotsu Ramen - YouTube

Here's my standard noodle bowl:
For the "meat"... cooked chicken, canned salmon, leftover steak sliced thin, hot dogs....
whatever is around works great!
(adjust seasonings to taste)
2 cups water
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp lime juice
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
chopped garlic or powder
chopped ginger or powder

Boil the water, add your noodles (ones from Ramen are great)
When noodles are done, add in asst. chopped veggies.
I use Napa cabbage, leek, red or yellow peppers, cucumbers
and hot peppers.
Let it steep for a minute or two, then enjoy!

Don't be scared off by the fish sauce. When combined with lime and sugar,
it becomes super tasty!

Oh, you should also research some PHO soup recipes. Takes some work to make, but
by golly it is good!

Last edited:
If you are into wheat noodles (as opposed to rice noodles or bean threads) and don't have Asian foods available, many recipes can be made using your basic wheat noodle recipe or maybe a Barilla thin spaghetti or angel hair.

If I'm not mistaken, lo mein means soft noodle. With this in mind, I give you Goodweed's Mushroom & Beef Lo Mein.

Ingredients:
1 well marbled sirloin steak (about 1 lb.)
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
1 onion, sliced from top to bottom into thin leaves
1 stalk celery, bias sliced
1/2 cup snow peas, in the pod
1 carrot, peeled, washed and sliced on the bias
2 pkgs, ramen noodles, without the flavoring packets
1/4 tsp, granulated garlic powder
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground ginger, divided into 2 equal parts
2 tbs. sesame oil
3 tbs. cornstarch
12 oz. fresh, chopped mushrooms
2 tbs. soy sauce.

Heat a pan of water until it is lightly boiling. Turn down heat until it stops. Keep at that temperature.

Cut the steak across the grain into very thin strips.
In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch with the soy sauce and 2 more tbs. water, and 1 part ginger (1/8 tsp). Place the beef strips into the cornstarch mixture and allow to sit for 15 minutes.

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion,k carrot, snow peas, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes and add the mushrooms. Stir every 5 mintues or so.

In a separate pan, cook the noodles in water until soft. Drain and set aside.

Place the meat strips, one at a time into the hot, but not boiling water. Don't crown the pan. Let cook until the cornstarch-slurry coating turns opaque. Remove and set aside. Add slurry used to marinate the meat into the pan with the cooking veggies. Add the noodles and the meat. Gently stir until the sauce thickens.

You can add hot diced hot peppers to this dish, as well as bok choy, baby corn, etc. to give it the flavor you want. You can even add peanuts. Black pepper is always a good option as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom