Rec: Chicken Katsu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KARLYN

Assistant Cook
YIELD: 6 SERVINGS

2LBS CHICKEN BREAST, BONELESS AND SKINLESS
GARLIC SALT TO TASTE
1/2 CUP FLOUR
2 EGGS BEATEN
2 CUPS PANKO(FLOUR MEAL FOR BREADING)
OIL FOR FRYING

DIPPING SAUCE
1/3CUP KATSUP
1/4 CUP SHOYU
1/4 CUP SUGAR
1-1/12TEASPOON WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
PINCH OF GROUND RED PEPPER
COMBINE ALL DIPPING SAUCE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER SET ASIDE....

SEASON CHICKEN GENEROUSLYWITH GARLIC SALT AND LET STAND FOR 15 MINUTES.HEAT 1/2 IN OIL IN A SKILLET. DREDGE CHICKEN IN FLOUR, DIP IN EGGS, AND COAT WITH PANKO IN THAT ORDER.FRY CHICKEN UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN ON BOTH SIDES;DRAIN ON PAPER TOWELS. CUT INTO 1 IN. STRIPS. SERVE WITH KATSU SAUCE.

NOTE:THIS IS SO-O-O GOOD! THE CHICKEN IS TENDER IN THE INSIDE AND LIGHT AND CRISPY ON THE OUTSIDE. ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!!!!:chef:

so SHOYU is Soy Sauce?
and KATSUP is like Ketchup?

not heard of them before... :)

Rom said:
so SHOYU is Soy Sauce?
and KATSUP is like Ketchup?

not heard of them before... :)

Both are the same. This is an ultra-popular local dish in Hawaii. Probably on the same level as hot dogs in NYC.

This first pic is of a normal chicken katsu that you'd find in any take-out place in Hawaii:

This second pic is of chicken katsu with curry, one of my favorites. Man, I think I'm going to get this for lunch tomorrow:

Katsu, especially with curry, is delicious. I like to make pork katsu.

Anyone here ever make oyako-donburi? That's generally what I do when I have chicken on hand.

BrazenAmatuer said:
Katsu, especially with curry, is delicious. I like to make pork katsu.

Anyone here ever make oyako-donburi? That's generally what I do when I have chicken on hand.

I'll sometimes make that if I have eggs and I'm lazy, and also because my daughter likes it. The good part about it is that I only have to wash one pan.

thanks for that ironchef, learing new terms on this forum lol
like coolwhip, quark, katsup :) and a few others as well

oh yes. another culprit for my "hit list" Chicken Katsu, Ill put it down for thursday at 6:00 pm.

I lived in Tokyo for a while and by God I love Tonkatsu! You have to have it with HEAPS of Bulldog sauce. It's sooooo good. I'll have to try this recipe. Can't wait. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom