Rec: Osh Pyozee (Stuffed onions, Afghan style)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Consul

Senior Cook
Osh Pyozee
(Stuffed Onions - Afghanistan)

Onions:

2 large (about 1/4 lb each) onions, peeled
4 cups of Water
1 tablespoons of Salt

Stuffing:

1/2 lb Ground beef
3 tablespoons of Raw rice, rinsed, cooked until very soft, drained, & mashed
1 tablespoons of Salt
1/4 tablespoons of Pepper
1/4 tablespoons of Ground cuminseed
10 md Pitted prunes, cut lengthwise into halves
2 tablespoons of Corn oil

1. Make a 1/2-inch deep incision into side of each onion. Bring water & salt to a boil over moderate heat & drop in onions. Cook for 2 mins, turning them w/slotted spoon during that time. Remove onions & peel off each layer until you reach center. Set aside onion layers & centers.

2. Put beef into a bowl w/rice, salt, pepper, & cuminseed and mix well. Take 1 heaping ts beef mixture & half of 1 prune. Stuff 1 cooked onion layer & roll it up. Do this w/all stuffing & onion layers.

3. Oil a skillet & lay stuffed onions & centers in it, cover, and cook over very low heat for 2 hours. The onions will become quite dark but not, of course, burned. This is top-of-the-stove cooking. Another method is to put stuffed onions into a baking dish, cover tightly, & bake in preheated, 250f. oven for 2 hrs. Serve warm. Serves 6 with other dishes.

-----

That was the "cut and paste" part. Now, for my notes:

I used the baking method of cooking, and wasn't happy with how well the onions browned. The main problem I ran into is that the liquid didn't evaporate, and I ended up with half-drowned onions. Despite, this, I did like the overall flavor of this dish, and would like to try making it again. Thus, I am not marking it "tried and true" even though I have tried it.

The above recipe was taken from a site found via Google. I couldn't tell you where it is now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom