Roch's Haluski

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Here is one of my fave comfort foods. It is a traditional Eastern European dish that has many variations. The main ingredients are cabbage, onion, egg noodles, sour cream, and usually some kind of bacon or sausage. My version is never the same. I like to add carrots add whatever I have on hand or need to use up. Today I had some extra peppers and peas and went with smoked sausage.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 279
I started by cubing up and frying the sausage. When they got browned up I put them aside on some paper towel to degrease and got the garlic and onions going. Then, I added the cabbage and carrots, half a tsp of caraway seeds, and let these fry on med for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until everything starts to soften and color. Meanwhile, I have the water ready and am cooking the egg noodles, timing everything so it is ready close to the same time. The cabbage mix can wait a bit so no pressure.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
When the noodles are ready, drain them and add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, a good dollop of sour cream, some fresh parsley and stir it up well.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 227
That's a hearty dish that can also be made with pot or large curd cottage cheese instead of sour cream. Sorta Polish soul food.
You can have my share of the carrots.

Last edited:
I had to look it up when you first mentioned it, Rock, had no idea what it was. Looks fantastic, and great tutorial!

I don't know about Rock's recipe, interesting to see/ compare his thoughts.

I have had success making spaetzle with a Joy of Cooking recipe. Both in a soup and with brown butter and crumbs. Closely resembles my Gramma's recipe.

My only issue is finding something with holes that WORKS. Colanders, backside of a grater, a potato ricer, <<<< I think you need 3 hands for the job. :blink:

I have seen that technique on youtube and it looks like it would take a bit of practice. I cheat and use a spaetzle maker. And use the most basic recipe that came with the maker.
spaetzle%20maker%20fr.jpg

Another yummy and hearty looking meal .. can't wait to try this one too !

Thanks for sharing !

Thank you for the great tutorial complete with pictures. I think a neighbor (long time back) made something like these only no meat and rolled in cabbage leaves. All I can do is phonetically reproduce the name ------ ha-lup-kies. (Sorry!)

Back
Top Bottom