Sarma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Doug,
That looks a lot like everything that is in Sarma except it did not have the ham.. It is a kind of stuffed cabbage. My friend that was Serbian used to make it but is no longer around used to make it I think with ferminted cabbage leaves..

I suspect that the recipes for sarma are about as varied as those for meatloaf or spaghetti sauce -- there's no "right" or "wrong" way to make it, just good ways and better ways.

I'd just reduce one of the other meats and add some ground or chopped ham, if that's the way you like it.

I'll check some of my cookbooks for you -- it has me intrigued! I remember when I was a kid and saw a recipe for stuffed cabbage leaves in a magazine ad for Hunt's Tomato Sauce or something, and asked my mother to make it. She was floored because I HATED all veggies. She did, and I've loved it ever since.

I thought I'd heard every word for stuffed cabbage leaves there is! What country is Sarma from?

Among others, sarma is a common dish in Armenia. Mom used to make it all the time with ground lamb, rice, tomato, parsley, etc.

Sarma was wrapped in cabbage or grape leaves. The sister dish is dolma, which has the same stuffing in hollowed out veggies such as peppers, tomatos, zucchini, onions, etc.

They were cooked in a large pot in chicken broth and served with plain yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom