Share your favorite Udon noodle recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I bought some Udon noodles the other day and have never cooked with them. What are some of your favorite ways to prepare them?

Soba and Udon are two of my favourites among anything that comes from Japanese cuisine. (give me those any day instead of sushi!!)

To prepare it in a classic way I think it needs certain broth specially made for it, I think you can get a ready made one (usually to be diluted with water) if there is a specialty shop for oriental food, it is basically a mix of soy sauce, mirin and dashi.

When I was small I also liked my udon stir fried... probably not a conventional way but I remember it was quite tasty...cook the pasta al dente, then sautè it with shredded ham, onion, bell pepper etc. seasoned with a bit of garlic powder, pepper and tomato sauce.

I love stir fry. I would not have thought of using udon for that. Great idea. Thanks Licia!

Udon is a good noodle to use in salads or cold dishes because of the neutral flavor. You can really let the dressing or sauce shine through and not worry that much about it impacting the flavor of udon negatively. For that reason I think udon is substantially more versatile than soba (going back to the other thread). Soba has a distinct flavor which needs to be matched or paired with or else the dish will not work. Udon can take on soy, curry, balsamic, bacon, peanut, hoisin, chili, citrus, coconut, etc.---basically a variety of different flavors---and still work. I've even served udon with a beurre rouge sauce in a dish and it worked.

The sauce mentioned above that uses soy sauce, mirin and dashi (also known as dashi no moto) is known as tentsuyu, I believe, and is also used as tempura dipping sauce.

I like to make a cold peanut salad with them. I use a commercial peanut sauce and a hand full of peanuts. Then I julienne cucumbers and carrots. Lots of green onions or chives. My current favorite sauce is House of Tsang Bangkok Padang peanut sauce. I squirt a wedge of lime or a drizzle of rice vinegar for some zip, and maybe some hot sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom