Shark Fin Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
Does anyone know what kinds of spices or flavorings are used in this? We don't have any shark fins here, but my husband wants me to flavor some rice noodles in a similar way.

B'sgirl won't understand this but I'm going to get it out in the open right here in the beginning.

B'sgirl is asking for SPICES that go in this soup - she is not making the actual soup - so everyone that wants to jump down her throat like you did to the last person that asked about shark fin soup - DON'T!

Those posts that don't actually help her will be removed.

Looks like from a google search it's a traditional scallion & ginger flavor, but lifted with a little sherry or ginger wine if you can find it. Glad you're not using Shark's fins.. those articles made me queasy!

The skate wings sound like a nice alternative. A yummy-sounding soup (sans fins). Thanks for bringing up the topic, it was enlightening on dual fronts.

Yes, good clarification, Kitchenelf. I wouldn't be caught dead cooking shark fin. Thanks for the link.

My grandma often uses Shark Fin imitation in a crab meat soup. From what I know some chicken broth, crab meat(with shell), ginger, scallions, and maybe some cinnamon as well.

I hope I'm not stirring controversy here but shouldn't this thread be closed? Shark fin soup is banned now pretty much everywhere except Asia due to how inhumanely sharks are finned alive and tossed back into the ocean, unable to swim, hunt or survive. Sustainability of the sharks is also a problem. If you see shark fin on the menu anywhere it's because restaurants have until June 2013 to use up what they already have. Sorry, I'm just the messenger.

I hope I'm not stirring controversy here but shouldn't this thread be closed? Shark fin soup is banned now pretty much everywhere except Asia due to how inhumanely sharks are finned alive and tossed back into the ocean, unable to swim, hunt or survive. Sustainability of the sharks is also a problem. If you see shark fin on the menu anywhere it's because restaurants have until June 2013 to use up what they already have. Sorry, I'm just the messenger.
MA the OP just wanted the herbs for flavor not Shark Fin. Kitchenelf explained that in the first posts.
kades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom