Sitting At The Sushi Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back during the 90's we used to frequent this "all you can eat in one hour" sushi joint here in L.A. The place was a hoot, always crowded, party atmosphere, and the best sushi deal in town.....about $20 at the time. There were always 6 sushi chefs, all young Japanese students, behind the counter, and they were all decent chefs. Every time we were there they never enforced the one hour rule, and served us practically anything we ordered, no restrictions. We had lots of uni. :)) I used to wonder if the place was making any money. The owner seemed not to care.
Well, needless to say, the place eventually closed or was sold. It reopened under new management, but no longer an all-you-can-eat establishment. We haven't been back there since.

nope, uni is sea urchin. although flash q'd squid is delicious. squid sushi (ika) is a waste of time. it has very little flavour, and is unpleasantly chewy. not al dente (to borrow a phrase) like octopus/tako.

Last edited:
I agree, ika (squid) is very chewy. But I do like yaki-ika (grilled squid), and always order them at the izakaya (taverns)

Attachments

• Ika-yaki_001.jpg
    Ika-yaki_001.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
I agree, ika (squid) is very chewy. But I do like yaki-ika (grilled squid), and always order them at the izakaya (taverns)

yaki-ika is delicious!!! :yum:

if you see it in a thai restaurant, order the pla muk yang, or grilled squid with a side of sweet chili sauce.

we are also big fans of calamari fritti.

have you ever tried squid flash grilled, kgirl?

it has to be done as roadfix mentioned, yaki, which are little skewers carefully turned very close to hot coals. squid cooks in just a few seconds that way.

or the thai style i mentioned. also very quickly (less than a minute) grilled or broiled.

the trick is to have the coals or whatever direct heat source so hot it chars the edge a bit while the squid cooks through in just the blink of an eye.

yeah, at least tako/octo has a certain sweetness to it. ika is just blah.

so far, the only sushi that i will not eat is ikura, or salmon roe.

it's like chunky snots in mucus. from a fishes' nose.

i've had monkfish liver sushi (gunkan style like the uni), and duck hearts (in a sort of futomaki), and so many other weird ones. mostly from eating omakase.

but i will not eat ikura. :(

Back
Top Bottom