Sitting At The Sushi Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
So here we are back home in Hawaii.
One of many restaurants that is a MUST
for us is Genki Sushi.
This is a chain that orginates in Japan.
LOVE IT!
Small plates are filled in the back kitchen,
and placed on a conveyor belt,
that goes around the room.
You can either sit at a stool/counter,
or at a table next to all of this
lusciousness going by you.
You grab any plate you like
(please don't put it back though)
as many as you like,
and you pay by the plates color.
Hawaii May 2012 142.jpg
Hawaii May 2012 141.jpg
Hawaii May 2012 136.jpg
I never thought to tally up our feasts
before Buckytom brought this up on a
different thread...
My closest count for both of us on this visit is
52 pieces, a bowl of edamame,
two miso soups, one somen salad,
one teri-chicken bowl, one karaage chicken,
and two orders of baked mussels.
Our tab was under $40 USD including tip!
Oh, did I meantion it's BYOB?
:pig::pig: (2 little piggy's, :LOL:)

Last edited:
lol, andy. you just reminded me of that old i love lucy scene in the chocolate factory.

kgirl, $40 for 52 pieces of sushi? such a deal!

Beautiful! I remember a place, many years ago on Maui, I think, called the Makai Grill. We could sit and listen to great live music and pick up the freshest sashimi by the piece, from the pupu bar. A buck a piece. I think we ate there at least 5 times.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kgirl! I'll check out your additional photos. Oh, man....I am so going to have to treat myself to sushi at my fave little place here, and very soon. Craving it now, thanks to the recent threads. :yum:

Having moved away from Hawaii
and it's "Asian" influence
we search out Sushi Bars
930Sushi.JPG
930Sushi1.JPG
930Sushi2.JPG
On our most recent road trip to SoCal
we found 930Sushi in Newport Beach California
voted #1 Sushi restaurant
Not bad for only $12.95
We ordered their Bento Box Lunch
DH had the Sashimi
I ate the Shrimp Tempura
(that photo didn't come out)
both came with a green salad and a bowl of Miso soup
oh, and a bowl a rice, why? don't know...

Nice box lunch!
Not a sushi joint but lately we've been going to Japanese taverns (izakaya). Little Tokyo is close by and there are a few izakayas there and most are open til past midnight. Most all dishes are ala carte and we usually order yakitori and sashimi, among other appetizers.
One such tavern is Shin Sen Gumi, very popular here in LA if you're in the area. They have several locations here.

Nice box lunch!
Not a sushi joint but lately we've been going to Japanese taverns (izakaya). Little Tokyo is close by and there are a few izakayas there and most are open til past midnight. Most all dishes are ala carte and we usually order yakitori and sashimi, among other appetizers.
One such tavern is Shin Sen Gumi, very popular here in LA if you're in the area. They have several locations here.

MMM :yum:
We use to get take-out lunch alot in Honolulu at the nearby okazu-ya (there's several all over town), like a japanese deli, all ala carte ordering... you make your own box lunch with whatever goodies you like, ooh! I must stop! I haven't had a okazu-ya in a while. MMM, that and dim sum, oh gosh! there's this take-out place next door to where I use to work, oooooooooooh! :pig:

I use to LOVE genki sushi, one of the fun places I always took people that would come to visit.

I also miss Curry House co-co ichiban, so ono.

Last edited:
I use to LOVE genki sushi, one of the fun places I always took people that would come to visit.

I also miss Curry House co-co ichiban, so ono.

:yum: Japanese curry houses are so different from Indian Curry, don't you think? I see there's some on the mainland too. I guess the next time we go to California, I'll need to explore more of the possibility of 'local foods'.

I would love to hear more about everyone's Sushi Bar experiences

where was this roadfix?
my dad use to have business in Japan quite often
and said the best food he ever had was there.

Many sushi joints do this. Sit in front of your favorite sushi guy and just ask. Most will be more than happy to serve you in this manner. Tell him what you don't like up front, otherwise, anything goes. And don't forget to buy him a beer.....but not too soon......you don't want him buzzed...
Now, OTOH, there are also high end sushi joints that only serve omakase. I've never been to one of those....

Last edited:
There's a sushi place a ways from us that we tried when we first moved here... we made our "tick marks" on the yellow sheet they handed us and gave it to the sushi chef (I use that term very loosely, I highly doubt he was trained in the correct manor of sushi making).
He looks at it, looks up at us and says,
"that's too much, you can't eat all this".
REALLY!?
To us, sushi is a meal, not an appetizer.
It was horrid! We never went back.
So I make "cheat Kappa Maki"

Back
Top Bottom