soy yoghurt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to Karl E. Weingartner, Ph. D this technique can be used:

How do I make soy yoqurt at home?

Soy Yogurt

Ingredients:

4 cups soymilk either commercial or home made soy milk by INTSOY method
(see recipe for soymilk)
2 to 3 tablespoons plain commercial yogurt (Dannon Plain Yogurt, etc)
5 tablespoons cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla flavor or other flavor as desired

Optional: Fruit preserves

Method:

1. Heat the pasteurized soy milk to 194oF (90oC) .

2. Add sugar to the heated soymilk base and keep the temperature at 194oF (90oC), heating only long enough to dissolve the sugar. Add flavor.

3. Cool the milk to 122oF (50oC). Add the commercial yogurt, gently mix the contents thoroughly and avoid the formation of foam. Pour the milk into cups and then seal with a cap.

4. Immediately place the cups into an incubator, or an oven at 106oF (41oC) for approximately 5 hr. After 4-1/2 hr of incubation, closely monitor the pH of the yogurt. When the pH reaches 4.3 or desired sourness, transfer the yogurt to a refrigerator at 36oF (2oC).

5. After 12 hr refrigeration, the yogurt can be served.

Option: To make yogurt with fruit on bottom, place 2 to 3 teaspoons fruit preserve into the bottom of each of the yogurt cups. Gently fill the mixture from step 3 into yogurt cups to near the top and then seal with a cap. Soy yogurt can be made by a yogurt maker following the instruction.

Source: http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/faq/faq.pdl?project_id=1&faq_id=687

Fascinating.

Does anybody know if it actually works?

Fortunately, I do not need to do this to soy, I can use semi skimmed + dried milk.

If anybody is sucessful, please post the results.

dsdscs.gif

Oh, it works, Darkstream, and your low-fat milk will work also.

Yogurt makers are the key here, making this process almost foolproof and so much easier to regulate the temperature, which is critical. My yogurt maker came straight from a discount store. Probably paid $30US for it years ago and it works great.

Homemade yogurt, even homemade buttermilk is somewhat similar to homemade pasta -- it takes some experimentation and practice, but before long, once you know what you're doing, you find yourself with an end result that makes the store-bought stuff pale in comparison!

Ahem. Homemade yogurt does take considerably more time than pasta. (Just wanted to acknowledge that wee fact....!)

Oh I have been making youghurt for years, (see my post below), just switched from whole to semi skimmed.

I suppose it is the protein in the bean, as in the milk, that allows the yoghurt fermentation.

You do not need a yoghurt machine. I use a $3 thermos jug since I no longer have an oven with a pilot light. Works perfectly every time.

I have had a real RAT of a time making soy yoghurt. I just wanted to make it to see if I could. I will buy it if I need it. Might be worth a go if you have a special diet. I read somewhere, I think it was called the Kidson report or something similar, they were trying it out for ME and Insulin Resistance.

Darkstream said:
Oh I have been making youghurt for years, (see my post below), just switched from whole to semi skimmed.

I suppose it is the protein in the bean, as in the milk, that allows the yoghurt fermentation.

You do not need a yoghurt machine. I use a $3 thermos jug since I no longer have an oven with a pilot light. Works perfectly every time.

Sorry, Darkstream. I remember that post vividly now and thank you for the reminder.

Back
Top Bottom