Taco meat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Was craving some Mexican. This is by no means authentic, but it turned out really good, so I figured I better post the recipe before I forget how I made it. All measurements are approximate.

1 lb ground beef (I used chuck)
1/4 cup or more McCormick's Taco seasoning
1 c water
1 T ground cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 c chopped green pepper
1 pkt Sauzon (optional)
2 T tomato paste (I used the stuff in a tube)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (can used any beans)
1 T epazote (optional)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernals

Brown burger, add chopped peppers, drain. Add taco seasoning (I was going to make my own, then I rediscovered the McCormick's in the fridge!) and water. Dump in beans, smush a bit, then add additional cayenne if you want more heat. Add whatever is left, cook on medium low until it's the texture you want. Might need a bit more water.

We've been eating it out of the pan, but the plan was to serve with Tostitos, sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheddar and salsa. Black olives would be good too. We're out of lettuce, but it would make a nice taco salad.

Last edited:
I misspelled it, it's Sazon. A Mexican seasoning, mine has MSG, annatto, cumin and coriander. It adds a little something, but you can leave it out.ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1407167964.112792.jpg

My wifey will not eat beef of any kind so our taco meat consists of 3 different types:

1) Ground Turkey which we simply add generous amounts of S&P, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and chopped onion.
2) Fish, either Tilapia or Mahi Mahi. That is simple as well with just 3 ingredients: lime juice, garlic salt, and chili powder, sautéed in olive oil.
3) Pork, thin-sliced with just about the same spices/ingredients as we put into our ground turkey.

The condiments are the usual taco fare: shredded sharp cheddar, chopped romaine or kale, chopped tomatoes, avocado slices and generous amounts of Cholula or Tabasco Jalapeno hot sauce over the top.

What about Carne Asada?

In a blend or food processor combine until smooth:

Juice of- 1 lime, 1 lemon, 1 orange (or 1/2 C. OJ)
2 Tbsp. Chili powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. dried Oregano
2 Tbsp. ground Cumin
1 1/2 tsp. crushed Coriander seeds
5 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/4 C. Soy sauce
2 Jalapenos, sliced
1 Medium onion, diced

Pour into a large zip-top bag, along with 4 lbs. of Flank Steak (or Chicken or Pork, or combo of all).
Marinade for 36-72 hours
Grill/broil to desired doneness

This meat makes for a terrific Taco Salad using Salsa as a dressing

56875-albums997-picture5995.jpeg

Last edited:
I used some taco meat in the enchilladas I made tonight. Yum!

I also use it as a base for chili or with a side of mac & cheese. With the mac & cheese, I don't mix them together because then the flavors end up blurred. It's much nicer with some of each in the bowl to mix as you go.

We had taco salads for lunch again today, bought lettuce. I really like this meat mixture. I have very little left!

Dawg, that sounds really good. I could go for that in tacos, burritos, taco salads....or nibble at it plain like you did. :yum: Thanks for sharing!

We had taco salads for lunch again today, bought lettuce. I really like this meat mixture. I have very little left!

I like mine too. I usually make it twice a month. Can't get enough!

I use a taco spice packet, but instead of water, I just add a can of petite diced tomatoes, and sometimes another can of Rotel too.

I include a whole diced onion to extend the mixture, simmering it in water with the crumbled ground meat on top. This helps to get rid of the extra fat when I drain the meat and onion mixture.

Cooking flank steak in a Mexican inspired broth, shredding and using it in place of ground beef for taco meat works well. For extra texture and a little different flavor, pan fry it like Cuban vaca frita first.:yum:

Yeah, Dawg. I might just have to make taco meat three (!) times a month. Hmmm, maybe I can cut out a few things from my grocery list!

I would like to be able to make slow cooked taco meat, the kind that roadside stands or drive ins make. Stringy and authentic tasting. Then I'd like to learn to oil fry the taco shells. I was once working in a couples home who had an elderly mexican maid cook who cooked up the meat beforehand and fried up the taco tortillas for them for lunch. My mouth was watering and I was so envious of them. To them it was just another meal for lunch.

I wonder if I would know how to cook genuine slow cooked taco meat and do the oil fried taco shells, but I keep telling myself to try. I don't even know where to start, but slow cooking the seasoned meat all day is how they do it. As for oil frying the tortillas and folding them, I suppose I could get that part learned.

Last edited:
When I lived in Texas, I worked for a short time in a Mexican cafe. The owner's name was Mama Guadelupe. It had a dirt floor and all her customers were Mexicans and Indians from Mexico. Most of them couldn't speak English. I learned what real Mexican food is from her. And she was a really good cook. She made enchiladas to die for. Every night she would ask me what I wanted for supper. It was always the same. Just some fried corn tortillas. Nothing in them. Every so often, about twice a year I will buy a package and fry them in butter. :angel:

When you get towards the bottom of a batch of taco meat, where you have more sauce than meat, try poaching a couple of eggs in the sauce. :yum:

I would like to be able to make slow cooked taco meat, the kind that roadside stands or drive ins make. Stringy and authentic tasting. Then I'd like to learn to oil fry the taco shells. I was once working in a couples home who had an elderly mexican maid cook who cooked up the meat beforehand and fried up the taco tortillas for them for lunch. My mouth was watering and I was so envious of them. To them it was just another meal for lunch.

I wonder if I would know how to cook genuine slow cooked taco meat and do the oil fried taco shells, but I keep telling myself to try. I don't even know where to start, but slow cooking the seasoned meat all day is how they do it. As for oil frying the tortillas and folding them, I suppose I could get that part learned.
You could try them in the oven:

How To Make Hard Taco Shells In Your Oven, Plus . . . A Recipe For Baked Tacos! | One Good Thing by Jillee

Or to fry them:

Hard Taco Shells Recipe - Allrecipes.com

To make the tacos from scratch:

Homemade Corn Tortillas & Homemade Tortilla Chips

If you have a slow cooker, you can use that to make taco fillings. Rick Bayless has great recipes for all kinds of Mexican food: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipes-from-chef-rick-bayless/

Caslon said: "Then I'd like to learn to oil fry the taco shells."

We have fried up corn tortillas for many years. My Dad used a deep fryer by folding them up and dipping them in the oil with ice tongs. We found we could fry them up with only about a half-inch of oil in our cast iron frying pan with the same tongs but carefully turning them over rather than folding them up. We like them fried just enough to still fold them up without them becoming brittle. SAFETY WARNING! If doing this on any stove, especially gas, be very careful as hot oil ignites easily. Ban any children from the kitchen when performing this task. Heat control is of the essence. ALWAYS TEND TO HOT OIL ON THE STOVE - NEVER LEAVE IT FOR A MOMENT!! Have an old towel nearby to smother any fire. If done carefully......The best tasting tacos ever, especially if the corn tortillas are home-made.

Caslon said: "Then I'd like to learn to oil fry the taco shells."

We have fried up corn tortillas for many years. My Dad used a deep fryer by folding them up and dipping them in the oil with ice tongs. We found we could fry them up with only about a half-inch of oil in our cast iron frying pan with the same tongs but carefully turning them over rather than folding them up. ...

My Dad did the same thing.
A few years ago, after moving here to the middle of the desert, I tried this again with the beautiful handmade tortillas in Southern AZ... no the same as Dad's.

...but you've all inspried me... lunch today was soft tacos

tacos without avo.jpg

DH's plate

tacos with avo.jpg

My plate with the Avo on it

(edit-forgot, homemade pico there too, yum)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom