Tacos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
We eat a Lot of Tacos here.. but I'm in search of ..Something New!

We have many new people in this area from Southern Mexico and Central America.. so the Taco Fillings and Various Salsas are changing rapidly..many fillings are quite different and often the Salsas are Fruit based and very Good..

do Y'all have any New Taco Recipes?

I pretty sure they use Fish in Southern California! I've tried these before and liked.

Eric, Austin Tx.

I like Chicken Tacos, dark meat chicken poached in adobo sauce and water then shredded. Mango and chipotle salsa with green onion slices. Shredded Napa Cabbage with a lime and chile dressing. Place all in a warmed flour tortilla. yummy!

Last edited:
Aunt Bea said:
How about dessert tacos with ice cream, fruit, sauce, peanuts, etc...

Kind of a TexMex banana split.:pig:

Wow...that is a great idea. Just drizzle on the hot fudge, and we are ready to go!

Ha Ha, leave it to this group to come up with The Banana Split Taco!

I think I'll try this today for my friends while watching the Nascar Race... but I'm afraid ( after a few beers) that if I put ice cream into a tortilla, and then you try to take a bite, all the filling will wind up on my floor!

I do like the Adobo Sauce Idea though. That sort of sauce and creamy sauces, and fruit type salsas are what are suddenly showing up here lacally..

along with strange new meats like Lengua (tongue), and Chicharones ( sort of soft fried pork skins , kinda like bacon)!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I don't like tacos made with ground beef anymore after having them carnitas-style with shredded pork or beef some time back. That's not really new but people around here only eat them with ground beef and flour tortillas from a bag.

I tried making corn tortillas from scatch a couple weeks ago, they taste so good. I can't get enough of that corn flavor! I don't have a tortilladora/tortilla press so it's kind of a pain, but if I had one it would be worth doing it every time I needed some.

Hey Texherp, a side question for you, (or anyone).

I love the flavor of corn tortillas, but don't like the crunchy ones. Is there such a thing as soft corn tortillas that taste the same mostly, but can be folded like a warmed flour tortilla? If so, and someone knows how to make them this way, would you post a recipe in the recipe area, to explain how to make them? I've never made *any* tortillas, so step-by-step directions would be awesome! :chef:

Thanks!

Hey Texherp, a side question for you, (or anyone).

I love the flavor of corn tortillas, but don't like the crunchy ones. Is there such a thing as soft corn tortillas that taste the same mostly, but can be folded like a warmed flour tortilla? If so, and someone knows how to make them this way, would you post a recipe in the recipe area, to explain how to make them? I've never made *any* tortillas, so step-by-step directions would be awesome! :chef:

Thanks!

Try: Gorditas Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Thanks PrincessFiona! I'm not experienced in making Mexican or Latin type foods. Until now, I've never even heard of a "Gordita".

I looked it up; Gordita , and it sounds wonderful! I'll try it! Meat-Stew pies are popular in every country I've heard of. They go by a zillion names, but all are some type of bread wrapper filled with meat stew of some kind.

Yum! :chef:

I love my tacos as simple as they can be. Usually the best come from street vendors and taco trucks.

Just out of curiosity... Do you suppose street vendors make their own tortillas before they hit the road, or use a brand unavailable to commercial grocery stores? Kind of like how chain Chinese restaurants always use the same menus, duck sauce packets, etc... My area is taco truck poor :LOL:

pacanis said:
Just out of curiosity... Do you suppose street vendors make their own tortillas before they hit the road, or use a brand unavailable to commercial grocery stores? Kind of like how chain Chinese restaurants always use the same menus, duck sauce packets, etc... My area is taco truck poor :LOL:

I have a couple good friends who own restaurants in Mexico, and when down there, frequently find them shopping at the same grocery stores we go to! Will have to ask them.

I didn't find out till recently that the same big city Chinese place supplies all the surrounding area Chinese restaurants! And they're not chains.

The Chinese restaurants and take out places around here aren't chains either, but they are so similar they might as well be. If you walk into one you've walked into them all. I'm really curious if the Mexican food vendors are ran the same way.

pacanis said:
The Chinese restaurants and take out places around here aren't chains either, but they are so similar they might as well be. If you walk into one you've walked into them all. I'm really curious if the Mexican food vendors are ran the same way.

Am thinking the Mexican loncherias (small, cheap lunch places with prix fix menus) make their own tortillas. I think they all have tortilla presses, and learned the technique from their mothers.

We have great Mexican places here too, will have to remember to ask about the tortillas. One of my former secretaries also owned a Mexican restaurant here, and made weekly trips to Chicago for her ingredients.

Last edited:
giggler said:
Ha Ha, leave it to this group to come up with The Banana Split Taco!

I think I'll try this today for my friends while watching the Nascar Race... but I'm afraid ( after a few beers) that if I put ice cream into a tortilla, and then you try to take a bite, all the filling will wind up on my floor!

I do like the Adobo Sauce Idea though. That sort of sauce and creamy sauces, and fruit type salsas are what are suddenly showing up here lacally..

along with strange new meats like Lengua (tongue), and Chicharones ( sort of soft fried pork skins , kinda like bacon)!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

You may have to eat the "banana split taco " over the sink!

Most Mexican restaurants, food trucks too, buy their tortillas commercially. If from scratch, they'd make a big deal out of it, advertising it. It tastes different, less dry, more doughy.

I've often thought that tacos could evolve like maki-sushi. California taco, Philadelphia taco, etc. I like PrincessFiona's combination, it's almost a Filipino taco.

i use store bought extra thin corn tortillas. i make a soft taco, put scant amount of oil in skillet. drop tortilla, almost immediately turn it over. again almost immediately fold in half in oil. drain and you have a lovely soft corn tortilla. doesn't pay me to make from scratch for just me. usually buy in dozen package. that lasts me about a month and they keep well in fridge.

Back
Top Bottom