"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 682
Tacos

We eat a Lot of Tacos here.. but I'm in search of ..Something New!

We have many new people in this area from Southern Mexico and Central America.. so the Taco Fillings and Various Salsas are changing rapidly..many fillings are quite different and often the Salsas are Fruit based and very Good..

do Y'all have any New Taco Recipes?

I pretty sure they use Fish in Southern California! I've tried these before and liked.

Eric, Austin Tx.

giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,712
I like Chicken Tacos, dark meat chicken poached in adobo sauce and water then shredded. Mango and chipotle salsa with green onion slices. Shredded Napa Cabbage with a lime and chile dressing. Place all in a warmed flour tortilla. yummy!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cape Coral Florida
Posts: 441
Here's some ideas
The Serious Eats Guide to Taco Styles | Serious Eats
__________________
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,610
How about dessert tacos with ice cream, fruit, sauce, peanuts, etc...

Kind of a TexMex banana split.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
How about dessert tacos with ice cream, fruit, sauce, peanuts, etc...

Kind of a TexMex banana split.
Wow...that is a great idea. Just drizzle on the hot fudge, and we are ready to go!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,534
I had some Shrimp Tacos once....Shrimp in place of fish.......
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 682
Ha Ha, leave it to this group to come up with The Banana Split Taco!

I think I'll try this today for my friends while watching the Nascar Race... but I'm afraid ( after a few beers) that if I put ice cream into a tortilla, and then you try to take a bite, all the filling will wind up on my floor!

I do like the Adobo Sauce Idea though. That sort of sauce and creamy sauces, and fruit type salsas are what are suddenly showing up here lacally..

along with strange new meats like Lengua (tongue), and Chicharones ( sort of soft fried pork skins , kinda like bacon)!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico
Posts: 118
If you have a steamer, do a search for Tacos al Vapor (steamed tacos) at: Allrecipes México - Recetas y tips de cocina para Cocineros Mexicanos. They are really different but also taste really good. The recipe I have is in English.
DMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Senior Cook
 
texherp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 112
I don't like tacos made with ground beef anymore after having them carnitas-style with shredded pork or beef some time back. That's not really new but people around here only eat them with ground beef and flour tortillas from a bag.

I tried making corn tortillas from scatch a couple weeks ago, they taste so good. I can't get enough of that corn flavor! I don't have a tortilladora/tortilla press so it's kind of a pain, but if I had one it would be worth doing it every time I needed some.
__________________
-AJ
texherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Hey Texherp, a side question for you, (or anyone).

I love the flavor of corn tortillas, but don't like the crunchy ones. Is there such a thing as soft corn tortillas that taste the same mostly, but can be folded like a warmed flour tortilla? If so, and someone knows how to make them this way, would you post a recipe in the recipe area, to explain how to make them? I've never made *any* tortillas, so step-by-step directions would be awesome!

Thanks!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hey Texherp, a side question for you, (or anyone).

I love the flavor of corn tortillas, but don't like the crunchy ones. Is there such a thing as soft corn tortillas that taste the same mostly, but can be folded like a warmed flour tortilla? If so, and someone knows how to make them this way, would you post a recipe in the recipe area, to explain how to make them? I've never made *any* tortillas, so step-by-step directions would be awesome!

Thanks!
Try: Gorditas Recipe - Allrecipes.com
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks PrincessFiona! I'm not experienced in making Mexican or Latin type foods. Until now, I've never even heard of a "Gordita".

I looked it up; Gordita , and it sounds wonderful! I'll try it! Meat-Stew pies are popular in every country I've heard of. They go by a zillion names, but all are some type of bread wrapper filled with meat stew of some kind.

Yum!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,370
I love my tacos as simple as they can be. Usually the best come from street vendors and taco trucks.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I love my tacos as simple as they can be. Usually the best come from street vendors and taco trucks.
Just out of curiosity... Do you suppose street vendors make their own tortillas before they hit the road, or use a brand unavailable to commercial grocery stores? Kind of like how chain Chinese restaurants always use the same menus, duck sauce packets, etc... My area is taco truck poor
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis

Just out of curiosity... Do you suppose street vendors make their own tortillas before they hit the road, or use a brand unavailable to commercial grocery stores? Kind of like how chain Chinese restaurants always use the same menus, duck sauce packets, etc... My area is taco truck poor
I have a couple good friends who own restaurants in Mexico, and when down there, frequently find them shopping at the same grocery stores we go to! Will have to ask them.

I didn't find out till recently that the same big city Chinese place supplies all the surrounding area Chinese restaurants! And they're not chains.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
The Chinese restaurants and take out places around here aren't chains either, but they are so similar they might as well be. If you walk into one you've walked into them all. I'm really curious if the Mexican food vendors are ran the same way.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
The Chinese restaurants and take out places around here aren't chains either, but they are so similar they might as well be. If you walk into one you've walked into them all. I'm really curious if the Mexican food vendors are ran the same way.
Am thinking the Mexican loncherias (small, cheap lunch places with prix fix menus) make their own tortillas. I think they all have tortilla presses, and learned the technique from their mothers.

We have great Mexican places here too, will have to remember to ask about the tortillas. One of my former secretaries also owned a Mexican restaurant here, and made weekly trips to Chicago for her ingredients.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler
Ha Ha, leave it to this group to come up with The Banana Split Taco!

I think I'll try this today for my friends while watching the Nascar Race... but I'm afraid ( after a few beers) that if I put ice cream into a tortilla, and then you try to take a bite, all the filling will wind up on my floor!

I do like the Adobo Sauce Idea though. That sort of sauce and creamy sauces, and fruit type salsas are what are suddenly showing up here lacally..

along with strange new meats like Lengua (tongue), and Chicharones ( sort of soft fried pork skins , kinda like bacon)!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
You may have to eat the "banana split taco " over the sink!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,131
Most Mexican restaurants, food trucks too, buy their tortillas commercially. If from scratch, they'd make a big deal out of it, advertising it. It tastes different, less dry, more doughy.

I've often thought that tacos could evolve like maki-sushi. California taco, Philadelphia taco, etc. I like PrincessFiona's combination, it's almost a Filipino taco.
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
i use store bought extra thin corn tortillas. i make a soft taco, put scant amount of oil in skillet. drop tortilla, almost immediately turn it over. again almost immediately fold in half in oil. drain and you have a lovely soft corn tortilla. doesn't pay me to make from scratch for just me. usually buy in dozen package. that lasts me about a month and they keep well in fridge.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.