Tamales - which fat to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lmarie

Assistant Cook
I'm going to make my first attempt to make tamales tommorow. Anyone have any hints? Do I have to use lard, or can I use butter or Crisco?
I had real authentic tamales once, and I LOVED them! I hope I can at least come close...

Lmarie----I have never made them but I know that lard is the most acceptable--don't use anything else---I admire you're gutsiness in taking this job on-----please let us know how it goes---we love tamales and have a wonderful tamale factory in Houston that we frequent when in Houston-------Yum!

Definitely use lard if the people you're feeding (and yourself) don't mind the idea too much. It makes for the ideal flavor and texture.

God I love tamales-- I wish I had time to make some soon!

One word: Lard.

OK, I couldn't stick to one word. According to Diana Kennedy, lard has less cholesterol than butter. It is used widely here in Mexico, and I have finally started using it, too. In your tamales, it will give you a lighter, fluffier masa. The last time I made tamales, I actually used half lard and half butter because I like the butter flavor. Just don't use vegetable oil....you won't get the consistency you need. Good luck with your tamales...

On a side note: Lard makes great pies, too, and if you are known for flinging uncooperative pie dough across the room (not me--well, actually my husband did dodge) because it breaks up on you, lard is wonderful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom