Tempura menu ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
A cooking buddy wants to do/have a "Tempura" meal. Any suggestions as to what to have with?

Am thinking of starting with just a small bowl of WonTon soup. Elaine from China's spicy one is my absolute favourite.

Then would serve with rice, as well as a cucumber salad (Thai style)

Tempura - shrimp, sweet potato, mushrooms. Other suggestions, ideas?

I think would also like to do Spinach. Did spinach once before but I believe it was just an egg white wash. Now of course, I can't find my notes or anything on it. Can't even find the pictures! :mad:

Dipping sauces?

A dessert I've seen and would love to try is Mango and Sweet Sticky Rice. Hoping to find ripe mango when we decide to have this meal.

Last edited:
I haven't read the thread yet, but saw one for fried flower blossoms. If you can get them, pumpkin and squash blossoms, lightly floured, and seasone with s & p are deliscious when fried in hot oil until they are lighly browned, and woul be wonderful as a side to tempua. Just dredhe in egg eash, then flor,ur, and fry.

Anothe very good side is glass noodles seasoned with a little fish sauce, mirin, and Hoison sauce. Add some good dried chilis, and cashews to the noodles. Serve with tamari, or lite soy sauce (use a good soy auce).

For veggies, you really an't go wrong with a quick stir-fry of snow peas, water chestnuts, and chopped watercress, maybe with some bok choy, and slced onion, seasoned with minced garlic, and butter.

That' all the ideas I have for now. If you can get the flowers, they are so very good, IMHO.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I haven't read the thread yet, but saw one for fried flower blossoms. **** and woul be wonderful as a side to tempua.
Excellent idea!

Anothe very good side is glass noodles seasoned with a little fish sauce, mirin, and Hoison sauce. Add some good dried chilis, and cashews to the noodles. Serve with tamari, or lite soy sauce (use a good soy auce). soy sauce, note below

For veggies, you really an't go wrong with a quick stir-fry of snow peas, water chestnuts, and chopped watercress, maybe with some bok choy, and slced onion, seasoned with minced garlic, and butter.
good idea! but if I do the tempura, not thinking I want to try frying another dish beside it - I'm not that co-ordinated. :neutral:

If you can get the flowers, they are so very good, IMHO.
Squash vines are full of flowers in my garden at the moment.

Excellant ideas Chief ! thanks!

dragn, tempura fresh Green Beans are out standing! oh yeah! for sure!
I would serve Teri Chix who?, some kind of fish, :ermm:nope
oohh, firm tofu! !
yes yes, tofu! good one!

fantastic ideas guys - thanks. We'll have to sit and plan the menu!

OK - another question..... Would someone/anyone, please, please explain to me how - in the grocers or anywhere else - one can tell if they are getting a 'GOOD' soy sauce? or for that matter, while we're at it, a 'GOOD' olive oil?

Is $$$ the deciding factor? No one, either on TV cooking shows, food blogs, or any recipe that I have ever come across - EVER explained what a GOOD (insert item) is!! All they EVER say is use a GOOD one. Please enlighten me.

Good soy sauce? I dunno. I always buy tamari, usually one made in British Columbia or a Japanese one. They have always been good.

Good olive oil? I have never been disappointed by any Greek olive oil I tend to avoid the Italian ones. I'm sure there are excellent Italian ones, but there is so much counterfeiting of Italian olive oil that there is a division of cops in Italy that just works on that. They are trained to be able to smell adulterants. A common adulterant is soy oil coloured green with chlorophyll.

Excellant ideas Chief ! thanks!

yes yes, tofu! good one!

fantastic ideas guys - thanks. We'll have to sit and plan the menu!

OK - another question..... Would someone/anyone, please, please explain to me how - in the grocers or anywhere else - one can tell if they are getting a 'GOOD' soy sauce? or for that matter, while we're at it, a 'GOOD' olive oil?

Is $$$ the deciding factor? No one, either on TV cooking shows, food blogs, or any recipe that I have ever come across - EVER explained what a GOOD (insert item) is!! All they EVER say is use a GOOD one. Please enlighten me.

dragn, firm tofu, on dish, dice the block, cover the top with dried bonito flakes and then drown in Shoyu. YUM! They serve this as a free pupu, or snack at most bars in Honolulu. :yum:

tofu with bonito flakes.jpg
(not my photo- saw it on flickr)

I'm sure that you recall that I personally use this brand and nothing else.

aloha shoyu gallon.jpg

I buy the lower sodium by the gallon, I even have found to-go packets!

IMG_4447.jpg

OOH! Seasoned Edamame too! And what about a simple Cucumber Maki Roll Sushi?

DSC00049.jpg

cucumber maki sushi.jpg

Teri Chix aka Teriyaki Chicken, bite-sized boneless-skinless, marinade overnight, skewer and BBQ!

teri chicken skewers.jpg

As to GOOD Olive Oil, I only use Kirkland Signature aka Costco.

Stay away from soy sauce made with hydrolized wheat. Read the ingredient list. I like Kikoman lite, but there are better. I detest LaChoy sou saice. Also look for natiraly brewed. Tamari is soy sauce made without gluten It tastes the same as soy sauce. Do a google search and you can finfd info on the differing kinds of soy sauce.

Last edited:
OMG Kgirl! there are only the 2 of us! LOL

don't forget I'm in Canada. Some of those items are not available here.

Tofu sound great... Looking it up, shoyu is a type of soy sauce, I'll keep my eye open for it.

I'm not a member at Costco but sons and neighbours are - much cheaper that way.. :mrgreen: I'll check it out. Do get my Parm from there - best ever!

Thanks to you too, Chief!

I also keep Tamari on hand as there are several family/acquaintances who are gluten sensitive.

I like the idea of tempura green beans. I also like onions prepared this way. If you can find lotus root, they look beautiful on the plate.

I like an acidic sauce to offset the richness of the fried food. Soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, a little chili-garlic sauce for heat, and grated fresh ginger is good.

Actually, some tamari does have some wheat. So, if it's for people with gluten sensitivities, be sure to check the label.

Good soy sauce is fermented or brewed. It will probably say on the bottle. The less good soy sauces are made using a chemical process with hydrolized soy, sometimes called HVP — hydrolized vegetable protein.

I like an acidic sauce to offset the richness of the fried food. Soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, a little chili-garlic sauce for heat, and grated fresh ginger is good.
gotcha' thanks!
Actually, some tamari does have some wheat. So, if it's for people with gluten sensitivities, be sure to check the label.
which is why I get the tamari that says it is gluten free - because it is for people who are gluten sensitive.
Good soy sauce is fermented or brewed. It will probably say on the bottle. The less good soy sauces are made using a chemical process with hydrolized soy, sometimes called HVP — hydrolized vegetable protein.

Unfortunately, my point is that all these cooking shows, etc. never SAY why or what makes a GOOD soy sauce.

Unfortunately, my point is that all these cooking shows, etc. never SAY why or what makes a GOOD soy sauce.
I think they're not allowed to advertise specific brands. Serious Eats has ingredient guides for several different cuisines. Here's the one for China - they recommend using the same soy sauce for both Chinese and Japanese.

Personally, I don't care whether the soybeans are organic. I use Lee Kum Kee, an American brand, that's naturally brewed.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/04/chinese-pantry-essentials.html

Last edited:
I think they're not allowed to advertise specific brands. Serious Eats has ingredient guides for several different cuisines. Here's the one for China - they recommend using the same soy sauce for both Chinese and Japanese.

Personally, I don't care whether the soybeans are organic. I use Lee Kum Kee, an American brand, that's naturally brewed.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/04/chinese-pantry-essentials.html

Of course they're not - someone would claim royalties! :LOL:

and thanks for the link. I have a lot of Lee Kum Kee but don't think I've ever gotten their soy sauce specifically.

The only soy sauce I buy is Yamasa. Expensive, but worth it.

Another veg to add to a Tempura plate is strips of green (or whichever color you prefer) bell pepper. The sweet potatoes are a definite must. Really, you can use just about any fresh veggie for Tempura. Snow peas or sugar snaps can also be used.

I like the Pearl River Bridge brand. I especially like the one with the metallic gold label (Golden label superior light soy sauce). You'll probably have to go to an Asian market or order via Amazon.

One of the Thai/Japanese restaurants we go to spiralizes sweet potato, zucchini and yellow squash before they batter and fry.

Last edited:
I like the Pearl River Bridge brand. I especially like the one with the metallic gold label (Golden label superior light soy sauce). You'll probably have to go to an Asian market or order via Amazon.

One of the Thai/Japanese restaurants we go to spiralizes sweet potato, zucchini and yellow squash before they batter and fry.

Oooo, now that's an idea. Bet that makes a pretty plate.

Try some crisp fresh asparagus tips dipped in tempura batter and fried.

Onion petals or rings and julienne carrot sticks are good. Don't cut the carrots too big or they will not cook properly.

If you are still hungry after dinner try dipping some fun size candybars in tempura batter and frying them for dessert.

Another option would be frying some banana chunks dipped in tempura batter. Dust them with powdered sugar or drizzle them with a little chcolate sauce and serve with a few fresh berries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom