I liked this so much, I had it two nights in a row. I still have some frozen salmon fillets, so I may have it again tonight!
ASIAN SPAGHETTI WITH TERIYAKI SALMON
Teriyaki Salmon and Tare
2 skinless salmon fillets
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp fish sauce
4-5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
2 inch piece ginger, peeled, sliced and smashed
1-2 dried red chilies optional (substitute a few drops of chili oil or a tsp of hot sauce like Sriracha if desired)
1. Bring the soy sauce, mirin, vinegar, garlic, ginger, fish sauce and chilies(if using) to a gentle simmer over low heat.
2. Add the salmon fillets and poach, turning several times, until salmon is flaky. Remove salmon and set aside. Strain tare through a fine mesh strainer and set aside
4 cups water
1 large piece dried kombu
1 tbsp dried bonito flakes (katsuobushi)
5-6 dried shiitake mushrooms
1. Place the kombu, the katsuobushi, and the shiitake in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Cover with water, and microwave for 4 minutes.
3. Let stand for 15-30 minutes
4. Strain through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth, pressing solids gently with a spatula or wooden spoon. Reserve mushrooms, discard the other solids.
1/2 pkg spaghetti, linguine, or fettuccine, cooked to package directions
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 to 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, halved and thickly sliced, about 1/4 inch
Reserved shiitake, thinly sliced
Reserved tare and dashi
Sesame oil to drizzle
Nori and kimchi furikake for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat
2. Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
3. Add the shiitake and vinegar and sauté until vinegar is is gone.
4. Reheat dashi in microwave until boiling
5. Add a tbsp of dashi to the bottom of a soup bowl
6. Add the pasta, the onions and shiitake
7. Flake the salmon and add to bowl, gently toss with tongs
8. Add the hot dashi, drizzle on some sesame oil to taste, and top with furikake and nori to taste. Go crazy with the nori and furikake if you want, but be careful with the sesame oil; it’s a very strong flavor!