Thai Chili Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
THAI CHILI CHICKEN

Chicken Breast (about 1.5 pounds))
Oil
2 Tablespoons Small Fresh Red Chili (chopped)
1½ Cup Shredded Basil or Cilantro (I prefer cilantro have used each... and BOTH with good results))
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Medium Onion (halved/sliced)
1 Teaspoon Fresh Coriander Root (or powder)
1½ Teaspoons Sugar
1 Cup Coconut Cream (can use lite if you are watching the calories)
Cut chicken into thin(ish) strips. Stir-fry onion, chilies and coriander in a little oil until the onions are soft, then add your chicken strips (continuing to stir fry). Once the chicken strips have browned, add the fish sauce, sugar and a cup of your fresh cilantro. Toss that through until your greens of choice wilt. Then add the coconut cream and lower the heat and simmer to blend the flavors. Serve over rice with remaining (greens of choice) to taste.

I have made this dish many times and reproduced the recipe so often that I don't even know who to acknowledge for it. I like it hot, so I ALWAYS at least double the chili (and you can use any hot chilis... today I used red & habenero). It's pretty forgiving. Today I thought I was out of coriander so I substituted cinnamon. I thought I had made a big mistake when I smelled it cooking but, by the end of it all, the cinnamon just added a 'different' taste as compared to how it usually is but it was still fine.

I always double (or triple) this recipe as, the way it's written, it doesn't make much and I like to make extra so there's left-overs in the freezer for later
228eatingknifefork.gif

Looks good but I would a couple of suggestions. I would make a change in the recipe to clarify that you are frying the coriander root with the onion and chillies. Additionally I would add the fresh coriander after the coconut milk goes in since coriander has a very volatile flavour and is at its best when exposed to a minimal amount of heat. I would say stir the cup of coriander through the dish right before you plate it up.

May I suggest that instead of using regular basil you try to get your hands on some thai basil (otherwise known as holy basil), it has a fantastic flavour and though you can use regular basil, thai basil just better suits the flavours.

Thanks for your suggestions. To be honest, I've never done the recipe with "fresh" coriander and I can only assume that, like most things (eg. nutmeg), fresh is certainly different.
and...
I knew there were many different flavours of basil and next time I make this I'll definitely check the Asian markets for Thai Basil. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom