The Chili Pepper Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Evening Jenny,

I appreciate your feedback, however, it looks as if there are some questions. I have used 3 reputable research materials to gather the names of the Mexican Chili Peppers ...

So, with this in mind, I shall re-check, however, I have already done that as I was hand writing the information prior to the typing on the D.C. Forum.

Then, MINI GUIDE 2 CHILI PEPPERS which focuses on the Mexican chili peppers not mentioned in number 1, are incorrect --- the ones mentioned in numbers 1 to 8, are from a UK Chili Guide.

Well, let me see in the morning, after I have re-researched my notes, to make sure all is correct on my end. I had not done this without a tremendous amount of research and I did not do this in English either so the Mexicans are wrong too !

Until tomorrow,
Margi.

I know the Hatch chili wine sounds crazy but it good. Every single person that we have had tasted it wound up liking it. I would buy more if I could get it local.

The bottle says produced and bottled by southwest wines deming, NM

1.888.swwines

www.southwestwines.com

Worth a try! I promise!

Margi

I quoted your post #14 from this thread. Also, California peppers are dried Anaheims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano
:)
Anchos called Chipotles, Poblanos and Jalapeños, as well as the La Basilicata, Italia and the Iberian Peninsula varieties have not been included as I have had plans to do a Part 2 - MINI GUIDE ...
Other than this, if you like feeling great as we do, avoid Asian in Madrid or Puglia !

JALEPEÑOS, POBLANO CALLED PASILLAS, ANAHEIM OR CALIFORNIA & CHIPOTLE shall be added to the PART 2 however, I am only able to add what I have tasted, thus, there are 5 Basilicata types and a few Iberian ones ...

:yum: Thanks for feedback.
Margi.

Ancho peppers are not called chipotles

Poblanos are not called passillas

Ancho peppers are dried poblano peppers.

Chipotle peppers are dried and smoked jalepeno peppers.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like to drop a few bird eyes in a bottle of oil to make chilli oil.i put them in a sieve & pass them thru' the hot steam from a kettle beforehand to kill any bacteria.stops the oil going cloudy.do the same with peeled whole garlic cloves.

Putting anything fresh that is grown in soil in oil creates a botulism risk. I'd check to make sure your steaming technique is safe.

Cave Creek Chili Beer! I miss you so much!:( Iced down to super cold with that rush of serrono heat at the end. Now there is your "Icy-Hot". Don't forget to try the xnipec sauce/salsa! I believe I posted a recipe a while back.

Copied and pasted:
Carnitas maybe? Nothing says taco better than pork simmered in pork fat! A little Xnipec (pronounced Schnee Pic, which is Nahuatl for Dog's Nose Salsa) to really heat things up!:wacko:

Juice of 4 limes
1 red onion diced
4 habanero chiles, stemed, seeded and diced
1 tomato diced
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
salt to taste

Soak onion in lime juice for at least 30 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and salt to taste.

Last edited:
craig, i was just going to post about ed's cave creek chili beer. great stuff!!! sadly, i haven't seen it for a long time, though.

margi, jenny is quite right about the peppers she mentioned. while your efforts are certainly appreciated, writing a "guide" about something with which you have very limited experience, and are posting from translated research is being somewhat over-confident in your abilities, imo.

it would be like me writing a difinitive guide to tapas bars in madrid after having a few plates if tapas at a spanish restaurant here in nyc, then reading up on it translating from spanish texts, and expecting you to actually use it as a guide.

maybe you could post a thread about the chilis from italy and spain, the ones that you've actually used in cooking?

again, the correct info you've posted is interesting and appreciated, just not a "guide".

the reason i responded in this way is that i wouldn't want a new person just lurking in the site to find info on chilis, and thinking we were inexperienced cooks not worth their time since we have guides that clearly have incorrect information. members come and go, but what keeps a site interesting is the continuous addition of new folks and all of their life experiences to add to those older members who stay around in an ever increasing, supportive community.

Last edited:
I wonder, just did a quick search and found that Cave Creek is being brewed in Tecate, Mexico and distributed world wide. Could it be and taste the same? Have to see if Total Wine and Spirits can bring some in for a test drive!:yum:

thanks. i'll have to look for it in some of the larger alcohol distributors in my area.

the thing i loved about ed's chili beer was that the heat from the little chili bottled within it would somehow leach into the beer, so it was a surprise the first time you tried it. liquid heat.

i guess capsaicin is alcohol soluble?

Last edited:
thanks. i'll have to look for it in some of the larger alcohol distributors in my area.

the thing i loved about ed's chili beer was that the heat from the little chili bottled within it would somehow leach into the beer, so it was a surprise the first time you tried it. liquid heat.

i guess capsaicin is alcohol soluble?

I guess it must be. My oldest brother used to do chili cook offs and everyone had their version of one or another screamer chili in vodka or grain. They would all put on a great show of "chugging" some, but only the "suckers" they got to bite would actually drink it.:ROFLMAO:

Putting anything fresh that is grown in soil in oil creates a botulism risk. I'd check to make sure your steaming technique is safe.
thanks jenny but i've been doing it for years & never had a problem...oh...hang on...what..aaaaaaaaargh:ROFLMAO:!
seriously though,i haven't had a problem in years of doing this,with herbs like rosemary,thyme & basil too.i'm afraid i'm an incorrigible sceptic(as opposed to septic which is the way i may end up if i'm wrong)when it comes to stuff like this & use by,sell by & best before dates etc.i check with my eyes,nose & fingers.if it looks right,smells right & feels right,well,it usually is right in my opinion
thanks anyway jenny
harry

thanks jenny but i've been doing it for years & never had a problem...oh...hang on...what..aaaaaaaaargh:ROFLMAO:!
seriously though,i haven't had a problem in years of doing this,with herbs like rosemary,thyme & basil too.i'm afraid i'm an incorrigible sceptic(as opposed to septic which is the way i may end up if i'm wrong)when it comes to stuff like this & use by,sell by & best before dates etc.i check with my eyes,nose & fingers.if it looks right,smells right & feels right,well,it usually is right in my opinion
thanks anyway jenny
harry

Youre welcome! Just trying to bring facts to light.

You can be a "skeptic," but facts are facts. You can kill yourself through improperly handling fresh herbs, garlic or peppers in oil.

It's a huge food safety risk. Botulism is absolutely nothing to take lightly.

You may not have sickened yourself and others yet , but, like our GB's analogy on this goes ... You could have ridden 1000 times in a car without a seatbelt do you think you are safe ... And on 1001 you are thrown out of the car. Why take a chance?

Last edited:
Youre welcome! Just trying to bring facts to light.

You can be a "skeptic," but facts are facts. You can kill yourself through improperly handling fresh herbs, garlic or peppers in oil.

It's a huge food safety risk. Botulism is absolutely nothing to take lightly.

You may not have sickened yourself and others yet , but, like our GB's analogy on this goes ... You could have ridden 1000 times in a car without a seatbelt do you think you are safe ... And on 1001 you are thrown out of the car. Why take a chance?
quote from the uk national health service:
How common is botulism?

Botulism is a rare condition in the UK.
Between 1980 and 2010 there were 33 recorded cases of food-borne botulism in England and Wales. Twenty-six of these were linked to a single outbreak in 1989 that was caused by contaminated hazelnut yoghurt.
Since 1978, there have been 13 cases of infant botulism. None resulted in death.
that's about one per year for a population of 55 million+.if you take out the 26 attributed to one source that's about one every 4 years.i think i've got more chance of winning the national lottery on those odds jenny;)!
i reckon if your name's on a bullet it's gonna get ya whatever you do.....

thanks anyway jenny
harry
Botulism doesn't make food smell bad. I would have mentioned it myself if Jenny hadn't beaten me to it.

quote from the uk national health service:
How common is botulism?

Botulism is a rare condition in the UK.
Between 1980 and 2010 there were 33 recorded cases of food-borne botulism in England and Wales. Twenty-six of these were linked to a single outbreak in 1989 that was caused by contaminated hazelnut yoghurt.
Since 1978, there have been 13 cases of infant botulism. None resulted in death.
that's about one per year for a population of 55 million+.if you take out the 26 attributed to one source that's about one every 4 years.i think i've got more chance of winning the national lottery on those odds jenny;)!
i reckon if your name's on a bullet it's gonna get ya whatever you do.....
Might be very rare in the UK. But, we want to make sure that other people don't think it's safe to just plop some garlic in oil and keep it. I know you passed yours through steam, but I didn't even notice that until Jenny mentioned it.

From the Center for Disease Control website, CDC - Botulism, General Information - NCZVED

"How common is botulism? In the United States, an average of 145 cases are reported each year.Of these, approximately 15% are foodborne, 65% are infant botulism, and 20% are wound. Adult intestinal colonization and iatrogenic botulism also occur, but rarely. Outbreaks of foodborne botulism involving two or more persons occur most years and are usually caused by home-canned foods. Most wound botulism cases are associated with black-tar heroin injection, especially in California"

4 Meandthem: Grazie Grazie

:) Many Thanks for the very informative post and the link to the Chili Pepper Variety Chart ... Very useful.

Appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Ciao.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom