The Maize Mystery lol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Thought this might help clear up some confusion about the maize and corn products used in recipes on DC !

Corn has been getting a lot of publicity lately. But even before industrial agriculture dug its claws into this versatile cereal and invented high-fructose corn syrup, cultures around the world had devised myriad techniques for consuming every edible part of the plant. In Zimbabwe, you can buy roasted maize by the side of the road, or bags of popped maize, called maputi. Finely ground white maize (mealie-meal) is used to make the staple dish, sadza, as well as a thin porridge commonly eaten for breakfast. A Zimbabwean could easily eat corn three times a day.

Another corn permutation, common in southern Africa as well as the southern U.S. and Mexico – not to mention a food that kept the colonists alive in New England – is samp. Much has been written in an attempt to explain the difference between samp, hominy and grits, a task complicated by regional usages of these terms within the U.S. Here is how I distinguish between them:

- Hominy is dried, whole kernels of corn whose skins (or hulls) and germs (the little bit inside the kernel) have been removed.
- Samp is the same thing, except the kernels are cracked into a few pieces.
- Grits are ground hominy. Mealie-meal and polenta (typically made from yellow corn, instead of white) both differ from grits in that the hull and germ are not removed before grinding the dried kernels.

Got it?

Samp is typically paired with dried beans in southern Africa. In fact, you can often buy the soulmates packaged together in one bag. In South Africa, samp and beans (umngqusho) is a traditional dish of the Xhosa people, and was supposedly one of Nelson Mandela’s favorite meals growing up. You can serve cooked samp and beans with sautéed or fried onions, with butter, or with any sauce of your choosing.

SAMP

Pap (Maizemeal)

HOMINY

Last edited:
- Grits are ground hominy. Mealie-meal and polenta (typically made from yellow corn, instead of white) both differ from grits in that the hull and germ are not removed before grinding the dried kernels.

Not to confuse matters further but, depending on where you live in the US, grits can be made from yellow corn, as well as hominy. Yellow corn grits is essentially the same thing as polenta. Grits made from hominy can be called "hominy grits", "white grits", or simply "grits" in many places. There is also "blue grits" which is made from lye-treated blue corn.

I think this is probably a better explanation.
http://ask.yahoo.com/20021007.html

Some companies even go so far as to label the package like this:

img_1238893_0_82ddd155ebfb4e4172d725cb54fa8565.jpg

Last edited:
Not to confuse matters further but, depending on where you live in the US, grits can be made from yellow corn, as well as hominy. Yellow corn grits is essentially the same thing as polenta. Grits made from hominy can be called "hominy grits", "white grits", or simply "grits" in many places. There is also "blue grits" which is made from lye-treated blue corn.

I think this is probably a better explanation.
What's the difference between polenta and grits?

Some companies even go so far as to label the package like this:

img_1239011_0_82ddd155ebfb4e4172d725cb54fa8565.jpg

Thanks Steve :)
It's not confusing, just more info. Now I know you get yellow and white grits!

All the products are similar anyway and they all taste good to me!!!!

How do you prepare grits for shrimp and grits? I would really love to try it. We have coarse pap that looks just like the white grits. Would love to try it.

Thanks Snip. I love hearing more about food of other lands. Even if they are the same foods we eat here. Just by a different name. And you are right. Corn has been getting a bad name of late. I try my dangest to cook from scratch. The less chemicals I put into my body, the better I feel. And with the corn syrup, it is the chemicals that are used that make it unacceptable as an additive to Americans and the foods that it is used in to provide a cheap way of added sweetener.

Corn is on my no no list. Aside from the hight carb content in its natural state, I can't digest the skins on the kernals. And I so dealy love corn chowder. One of my favorite foods. I am a label reader. Have to be. The food industry loves to sneak that pesky corn syrup into their products. As a diabetic, I have to watch for that. I also love white grits with cheese and an egg on top. Don't eat that too often either along with corn muffins. In fact 'corn' anything. Have to stop and think before I do. :angel:

Any huitlacoche (corn fungus) likers here? I've never been able to find any.

Thanks Snip. I love hearing more about food of other lands. Even if they are the same foods we eat here. Just by a different name. And you are right. Corn has been getting a bad name of late. I try my dangest to cook from scratch. The less chemicals I put into my body, the better I feel. And with the corn syrup, it is the chemicals that are used that make it unacceptable as an additive to Americans and the foods that it is used in to provide a cheap way of added sweetener.

Corn is on my no no list. Aside from the hight carb content in its natural state, I can't digest the skins on the kernals. And I so dealy love corn chowder. One of my favorite foods. I am a label reader. Have to be. The food industry loves to sneak that pesky corn syrup into their products. As a diabetic, I have to watch for that. I also love white grits with cheese and an egg on top. Don't eat that too often either along with corn muffins. In fact 'corn' anything. Have to stop and think before I do. :angel:

It's always interesting to hear how people from other countries enjoy the same products. We use similar ingredients but turn them into something completely different.

I eat my pap with cheese and a fried egg on top too :LOL: Even halfway across the world people can still have the same taste!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom