TNT - Grandma's Buttered Noodles & Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bet I can find this at Market Street... kinda like a Whole Foods, but much more intimate. I will try and keep my eye out for it because this dish just seems to easy to pass up without giving it a try.

Thanks for posting it!

Gone

Farmer's Cheese must be very popular or otherwise everyone around here is making this recipe. The stores I asked if they had it were gone except for third one who had only 1/2 lb. left. Hope this is enough and never knew I would have hard time trying to locate it. Well, it is in the fridge and will try this evening. amy, can you believe what you started? Keep remembering, you got us all interested! Oh, and thanks for sharing. Your grandma would be proud.

I bet I can find this at Market Street... kinda like a Whole Foods, but much more intimate. I will try and keep my eye out for it because this dish just seems to easy to pass up without giving it a try.

Thanks for posting it!

Your welcome Sattie. Hope you like it as much as I do. Will have to look for Pot cheese as well. I just bought some more broad egg noodles (& cottage cheese for now).

Last edited:
Farmer's Cheese must be very popular or otherwise everyone around here is making this recipe. The stores I asked if they had it were gone except for third one who had only 1/2 lb. left. Hope this is enough and never knew I would have hard time trying to locate it. Well, it is in the fridge and will try this evening. amy, can you believe what you started? Keep remembering, you got us all interested! Oh, and thanks for sharing. Your grandma would be proud.

:LOL: Who knew?! Aw, Bless your heart, ITK, for going to three stores. Hope you like the dish. Never knew so many others made it as well. Maybe it's an Eastern European secret? (It can be a tad bland, so I use a little bit more salt than I usually use - & I'm not a big salt fan.) Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Now if are going to talk about blintzes for you should go to a Russian store for the farmers cheese. They sell this absolutely amassing farmers cheese, called Tvorog in Russian. It is sweet, I mean really sweet, there are some varieties, like raisin, or chocolate. It is to die for. Strongly recommend to check it out if you want to make blintzes. It is good by it self too, or on a roll with a cup of tea. Kids especially like it.
Disclaimer: I would not use for the dish mentioned above.
However there is sweet noodle kugel you can make with it, yum.

Now if are going to talk about blintzes for you should go to a Russian store for the farmers cheese. They sell this absolutely amassing farmers cheese, called Tvorog in Russian. It is sweet, I mean really sweet, there are some varieties, like raisin, or chocolate. It is to die for. Strongly recommend to check it out if you want to make blintzes. It is good by it self too, or on a roll with a cup of tea. Kids especially like it.

Thanks for giving me some idea of what to try next. If only I can find Russian store with, do they call it Russian Farmers Cheese? After I make this recipe tonight I will surely like to try the Russian type of cheese. Sounds like you just eat like piece of sweets on biscuit or something. I am just getting so hungry. Who can watch their weight? Maybe after January!

Yeah, the weight, I know, my wife blaims it on me and my cooking. Well, it's not my foult she doesn't know how to cook.

As far as Russian store i do not know where you are, otherwise I would have liked to help.

There's a chocolate cheese out there? I'm in big trouble!

ITK, I'm with you - Jan 1 - on a diet. :LOL:

How much........

Amy,

This sounds very interesting, but having never made it or eaten it before, could you give me a hint about how much CC you are talking about?

Also, why does is have to be cold?

Thanks,

Mozart

Yes, and it is amasing. Also they have chocolate coverd sweet raisin cheese.

P.S. There is also chocolate butter.

Mozart, just put as much as you want of CC. You can add more latter. The cold and the hot makes an interesting taste.

Amy,

This sounds very interesting, but having never made it or eaten it before, could you give me a hint about how much CC you are talking about?

Also, why does is have to be cold?

Thanks,

Mozart

No specific amounts. I just toss a handfull or two of egg noddles into boiling water & after draining, adding butter & salt, spooning in the cc. I just like the combo of the cold CC & has to be hot noodles. By the time you mix the cc into the noodles the cc has almost turned room temp. That's okay too. Just a matter of taste.

No specific amounts. I just toss a handfull or two of egg noddles into boiling water & after draining, adding butter & salt, spooning in the cc. I just like the combo of the cold CC & has to be hot noodles. By the time you mix the cc into the noodles the cc has almost turned room temp. That's okay too. Just a matter of taste.

So.......... about how much CC would you add for a handfull or two of noodles:rolleyes:?

Mozart

If you liked this guys (yummm), next time try to crisp some bacon and mix the pasta with the bacon fat.
Add a good amount of the farmers cheese , then sour cream, finally the crispy bacon bits.
This is usually put into the oven to make it piping hot.

My Mom had this "recipe" for Noodles Romanoff - wide egg noodles, tossed with some onions that had been softened in butter, cottage cheese, and parm. Geeze I still absolutely love that stuff. Hmmmmm, gotta go check the date on the cottage cheese.:rolleyes:

So.......... about how much CC would you add for a handfull or two of noodles:rolleyes:?

Mozart

Welcome to DC, Mozart. If you reread the quote you posted re the amount of cottage cheese - it is no specific amount (i.e. whatever amount you want - to taste). This is a free form recipe & dear to my heart. Since you chose an emoticon of rolling your eyes, I wasn't sure if I wanted to reply. Hope that answers your question.

Back
Top Bottom